Stacking Mini Cakes

Decorating By sechrestloans Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 4:26pm by sechrestloans

sechrestloans Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sechrestloans Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 9

I have a mini cake due tomorrow. 6,5,4, and3 inch mini cake. My question is how do I stack it? Do I board and dowel every tier like a normal cake or every 2 tiers? Each tier is 2 inches with no filling just cake. Thanks!

8 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 9

General rule of thumb is you need supports ever 4 or so inches. With something small you may be able to avoid that, but I'm more a better save than sorry kind of person. Does the cake have to travel?

cake_architect Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_architect Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:20pm
post #3 of 9

when i made my mini 3-tiered cake i doweled the bottom 6" tier only; i was afraid the dowels would displace too much cake in the smaller layers. since yours is 4 tiers maybe you could dowel the bottom two using wooden skewers instead of standard dowels so you don't displace too much cake.

here's the mini i did:
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1916692

Mfattore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mfattore Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:29pm
post #4 of 9

what about the bubble tea straws? They don't displace nearly as much cake as a solid dowel.

cake_architect Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:36pm
post #5 of 9

good thinking mfattore! this would probably be a perfect application for the straws icon_biggrin.gif also to the op, be sure and dowel the mini cake all the way through. with little cakes stacked tall is easy for them to topple over so you want to make sure they're secure

sechrestloans Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:51pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks all. The cake does have to travel 30minutes so I'm nervous LOL. I will USA the bubble straws.

sechrestloans Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:55pm
post #7 of 9

I hit submit before I finished..LOL cake_architect your cake is beautiful!

cake_architect Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:12pm
post #8 of 9

aww thank you! icon_biggrin.gif

sechrestloans Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 9

ok well I finished it and it turned out HORRIBLE!! im embarrassed to even deliver it, but alas time has run out for me. I see my first official complaint coming on.... icon_sad.gif cant seem to get the pic uploaded in this post, but I posted it to my photos, it is the 4 tiered buttercream. the second tier you can see it started to buckle....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%