How Do I Teach Myself Wilton Courses

Decorating By lollyponpon Updated 29 Mar 2011 , 4:12pm by 2txmedics

lollyponpon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lollyponpon Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 2:49am
post #1 of 16

Hi guys-- Lolly from Australia here!!

I always see some beautiful buttercream work on this site, and over here in Aust it isn't that huge of a rage!!
What I am wondering is, if i buy the Wilton level coursebooks, how much success has everybody had teaching themselves??
I suppose it depends on our learning style and the likes but is it somethign that you really need to be shown how to do? or is it manageable on your own??

I'm just a little bit frustrated right now because the only cake decorating centre I used to visit has nothing available for me to do next term, and I don't want to lose my hobby as a result. I don't know about all of you guys but it's hard to "find time" unless i have a committment to be in the class and I can just see this hobby being sidelined for report writing, lesson planning, staff meetings and the likes!! grrrrrrrrrrrrr

any advice would be appreciated!

15 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:00am
post #2 of 16

You can get the book Professional Cake Decorating by Tobacco Garrett. It is set up in lesson format. Anything you cannot figure out from the book, i'm sure you can find videos on YouTube. There are tons of cake decorating video there.

Mfattore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mfattore Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:06am
post #3 of 16

I just received the Sharon Zambito buttercream dvd and it was great for hands on. I also watch tons of youtube. Often you can find a good book and someone else had made a youtube video to accompany it. Wilton lessons are easy to find on youtube but they are hit and miss for quality.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:15am
post #4 of 16

I bought all the Wilton books on Amazon and figured I could each myself. I didn't really do so hot with them, they are really formatted to accompany an instructor (so they are basically workbooks). Sure I picked up some tips but I really didn't want to make the small oval basket weave cake or whatever lesson the book highlights.

I learned WAY more getting more professional decorator books like the Well Decorated Cake by Toba Garrett, there is even a great section in the Cake Bible that goes over tips and piping techniques.

THEN I discovered the thousands of videos on You Tube.

So for my $ I say skip the Wilton stuff.

Jen

PJ37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PJ37 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:18am
post #5 of 16

Many of us just taught ourselves with the help of Wilton prior to even the Wilton Course books. I should think you would have no difficulty. It just requires patience and practice...but start out simply and as you perfect each step, move on to more difficult work. I taught myself in the 1960's, decorated for several years and then gave it up. Now that I'm retired, I'm having fun with decorating once more. Cake Central is a great place to read about different techniques, and YouTube videos are great. Good luck!

lollyponpon Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 11:17am
post #6 of 16

hank you so much for all of your advice and suggestions-I'll jump on amazon now to check out those books!!

lollyponpon Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 11:31am
post #7 of 16

let's add a t to that *hanks*

tehehe

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 1:47pm
post #8 of 16

What kind of learner are you? Are you someone that can read directions and do it? Or are you someone that needs to see a visual? Me I am a little of both, so that was what I loved about the Wilton classes. I had the directions there for me to refer to when I was at home, but I also benefited from having someone there to 'hold my hand' so to speak.

I've been teaching Wilton classes over 6.5 years. The directions in the books can be a little wordy, but I feel they are alot clearer in the new course books than the old.

There are so many ways to learn things now a days, with the internet, free you tube vidoes and so on. Have you been to Wilton's website? They have some good how tos posted on there too.

I'd say get the books, try it out and if you have problems post pictures of what you are having issues with. With looking at a picture many people can give suggestions on how to improve or what you may be doing that is causing issues for you.

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 16

I agree that Sharon's SugarEd videos are outstanding!

kneenah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneenah Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 2:14pm
post #10 of 16

I am currently taking the wilton class now, I actually finish course one today. I must say i really love it and would recommend it to anyone BUT what ever i am learning from this course isnt something i couldn't fig out on my own. Those wilton books are really handy.... But keep in mind if u get the wilton books ull need the wilton student kits cuz the book requires to use the stuff in that kit... Good luck, if u have any questions u can always ask me or anyone on cc I am sure.. Have fun!!!!

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 2:32pm
post #11 of 16

I started decorating this past December, 3ish months ago.

Everything I learned I learned from Youtube, practice practice practice, and CC!

hrnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrnewbie Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 2:26am
post #12 of 16

I took the 1st wilton course but wasn't feeling challenged so I jumped ahead and bought the supplies and book for class 2 and taught myself that while we took class 1. I've moved on to class 3 now.

The books are pretty easy to follow so I've found it to be pretty easy to do this. Better yet, I watch videos on YouTube to supplement the books and that's really helped.

Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 2:52am
post #13 of 16

There's nothing magical about Wilton...I took a Wilton course years ago, and I have to say that it moved along so slowly that it was a complete waste of my time. Maybe they're better now, but there is soooooooo much excellent information out there on You-tube, in dvd's and books. Sharon Zambito's dvds on baking, buttercream, fondant, and sheet cakes are a great place for a beginner to learn some basics. Free tutorials on You-tube are also helpful. And there's no substitute for lots & lots of practice! Good luck to you and remember to have fun. icon_smile.gif

cakediva3010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakediva3010 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 9:12am
post #14 of 16

I did a basic cake decorating course, not Wilton here in Melbourne and found it hard to commit to the time required. I have now found that by going to weekend workshops that are held around Melbourne that I can keep learning new techniques without the hugh expense and when I have the time. It also keeps me motivated to try new things as well as keep coming here to CC to find out new ideas.

Rusti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rusti Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 9:05pm
post #15 of 16

Wilton does have DVD decorating tutorials, your might try them.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 4:12pm
post #16 of 16

Ive learned alot being in here, ASKING AND ASKING....reading online, doing searches, you tube was GREAT!!!!
How to make Buttercream Roses, Icing with BC, flower making, etc....

Try Edna's you tube site!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%