Strawberry Shortcake "icing"

Baking By lissacarol Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 4:39pm by sarascakecreations

lissacarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lissacarol Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 2:44am
post #1 of 15

Looking for a "cool whip" type icing to put on a strawberry shortcake groom's cake that will stay firm and not melt.

14 replies
SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 2:50am
post #2 of 15

What about Bettercream?

Mfattore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mfattore Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 2:59am
post #3 of 15

Yep, Bettercream. I like Melvira's "richer" recipe with pudding, milk, and cream cheese. Its at the beginning of the Bettercream Fun thread in the cupcake forum.

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:15am
post #4 of 15

I've been doing a whipped chocolate buttercream whipped with more heavy cream to make it mousse-y inside of my strawberry shortcake type cakes and people love it, and it stays firm. icon_smile.gif

NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 3:29am
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfattore

Yep, Bettercream. I like Melvira's "richer" recipe with pudding, milk, and cream cheese. Its at the beginning of the Bettercream Fun thread in the cupcake forum.

I looked for that thread and couldn't find it. Would you mind putting a link on here for it?
Thank you!

lissacarol Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 15

Thanks! I called my local Sam's Club and the bakery said they said they do sell it. I didn't specifically ask if it was "bettercreme" so I will have to check it out when I go. I believe she said it comes in a 4 or 5 gallon tub?? By that I think it must be pre-made and she said it needed to be refrigerated but once on the cake the icing will hold up.....we'll see...

Mfattore Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 15

It is different, on thier cake boxes you will see labels that say ButRCream or something like that. It is pre-whipped and needs to be used as is, which is pretty good. You need the kind in a carton to do Melvira's recipe because you whip it up yourself. There is nothing wrong with the prewhipped but you are a little more limited than if you find the frozen kind in the carton. I buy mine at CashNCarry.

lissacarol Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 6:06pm
post #9 of 15

I tried googling to see if I could find the one in Melvira's recipe and didn't find anything in our area...yet. I basically want it to hold up through a reception and taste sorta like whipped topping since it will be a yellow cake with fresh strawberries as in strawberry shortcake. Will Sam's work? I ate at a local restaurant the other day that had swirled "cool whip" on top of their pie and it was stable and stays out on their dessert bar and doesn't fall. The topping on my slice was not cold but I did see she kept her decorating bag in the frig. I hate to buy some just to see if it meets my needs but may be forced too icon_sad.gif

Mfattore Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 7:06pm
post #10 of 15

Oh yeah, its stable and will work. I just wanted to point out the difference so you dont try to whip in the cream cheese and pudding etc. It is totally fine to be left out of the fridge too.

lissacarol Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 8:13pm
post #11 of 15

Thanks so much! The groom wanted a strawberry shortcake and I had been stressing!

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:04am
post #12 of 15

Hey,

I don't mean to hyjack with another question buuuut what the heck is bettercream? I make my own buttercream (wilton style but I use dominican vanilla).

Is it something I can find in Canada? Toronto even? Or is it something that I can find something similar over here?

S.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:26am
post #13 of 15

Chemicals, basically. But tasty chemicals! icon_smile.gif

It is a non-dairy liquid that you whip up and use as frosting or filling. Kind of like cool whip, if you have that there.

SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:28am
post #14 of 15

Here is the link to the website. Bettercream is the one at the very bottom of the page.

http://www.rich.com/product_info.cfm?catid=6159

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 4:39pm
post #15 of 15

Damn wish we had that here! I'd love to give it a try

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%