Shipping Cookies

Baking By DinasSugarShack Updated 31 Mar 2011 , 7:06pm by OneCreativeCookie

DinasSugarShack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DinasSugarShack Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 12:06am
post #1 of 4

Can anyone share how to best package cookies for shipping? I have never done it before but someone asked me for cookie favors that are individually packaged and I am unsure as to how to send them to her and make sure they arrive in one piece
Thanks
Dina

3 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 12:29am
post #2 of 4
cookierookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookierookie Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 3:28pm
post #3 of 4

I just shipped 125 individually wrapped cookies 1100 miles away via Express Mail ($70) through the local post office with no glitches. They were assorted baby shower designs wrapped with ribbon and even a favor tag on each, no problems. I put two layers of cookies in 6 different sturdy pizza boxes with tissue paper between the layers, then laid a piece of the small bubble wrap on top. Taped each box shut. Then used the large bubble wrap under and on top of each pizza box stacked in the shipping box, and all around the sides. The pizza boxes were 14" and the shipping box was 16"x16", so not much wiggle room once all was inside. Got a call less than 24 hours later and SUCCESS! This was my first attempt at shipping and boy was I relieved to get that phonecall.

OneCreativeCookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OneCreativeCookie Posted 31 Mar 2011 , 7:06pm
post #4 of 4

I individually bag/tie my cookies as normal. Then, I line a Priority Mail box with 2 layers of bubble wrap. I pack the cookies in groups of 4 - two layers of two cookies each with bubble wrap in a "z" shape under, between, over the two layers. Then I wrap the set of four in another layer of bubble wrap. I put these groups in the box and add bubble wrap until there is no movement in the box when I shake it. The key is to get the cookies packed tightly enough that they won't move around, but not so tight that external pressure on the box would cause them to push against each other and break. I know that I use an abundance of packing material but my boxes are free and I add a small amount to the actual cost of shipping to cover my materials. Better extra wrapped than broken icon_wink.gif

Oh, and if possible, I try to send an "extra" cookie "just in case". I almost always make an extra anyway so that I have a back-up if something happens during decorating or packing thumbs_up.gif

Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%