Creating A Melted Chocolate Layer On The Cake

Baking By Lyoshka Updated 23 Mar 2011 , 1:38am by Lyoshka

Lyoshka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyoshka Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 7

Hi there! Just have a quick question-I'm making a two-tier cake, and on the Golden Butter cake layer, I want to put a layer of melted chocolate, then fill it with a Whipped Chocolate Ganache and Cookies'n'Cream (different layers).. my question is, how do I create that melted chocolate layer? Do I just melt the semi-sweet chocolate in a double boiler and spoon it on the cake, freeze, fill? Do I add anything to the chocolate while melting? I just want it to be a very thin chocolate crust to add some crunch and compliment the ganache...

thanks!

6 replies
jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 7

I wouldn't use just a layer of straight chocolate, as it will make cutting difficult. i would instead use a layer of firm ganuche, which is firm once set. and it will be a difference in texture from the whipped ganuche.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 7

I am not sure if this melted chocolate will have any crunch because of the moister of the cake and the other filling. I could be wrong. I don,t think it will set up to be a little crunchy. I would chop up a good candy bar and add it to the ganache part to get the crunch. I do this alot. People comment on the crunch and want to know what it is. hth

Lyoshka Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 7:30pm
post #4 of 7

Jmt, would you have a recipe of firm ganache you could share? i'd appreciate it icon_smile.gif

Icer, PLEASE share your wisdom! I just want a thin layer that will act kind of like Chocolate shell-a hint of crunch...so if you have smth taht works like that, I'd dying to know icon_smile.gif thank you thank you thank you icon_smile.gif

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 9:57pm
post #5 of 7

How about the chocolate shell you buy to pour over your ice cream that gives that shell?

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 1:08am
post #6 of 7

Just use a bit more chocolate when making it.

Lyoshka Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 1:38am
post #7 of 7

well, I wasn't sure what to do, so I just ended up melting some chocolate and putting a very thin layer of it on two of the three cake layers. Froze it solid and then filled with whipped chocolate ganache. Will report back after Saturday how it went icon_smile.gif
thanks for all the ideas icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%