Gold And Red Colored Fondant

Decorating By MLG Updated 23 Mar 2011 , 5:40am by platinumlady

MLG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLG Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 6

I am making an iron man cake soon and needed red and gold fondant that looked metalic. After looking around I saw a lot on how to paint it but...
The part I am making will not be edible. It is just a rice kripy treat form covered with the fondant to sit on top of the cake. Could I use regular paint instead of all the luster dust and other options. there will be a good bit to cover and I really don't want to spend a lot.

5 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 4:34pm
post #2 of 6

If I understand correctly, the piece being painted will be made from RKT? Don't assume people won't eat it. I know loads of people who are excited to have parts of their cake made with RKT, then it's a fight over who gets to eat it. So don't assume it's not edible, and don't risk non edible paint, please.

You can get the edible gold you can use to paint the fondant on the piece. We don't have an airbrush, but I'm sure they have the edible gold you can use with that too.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 6

And if it's going to be sitting on top of the cake you don't want to use regular paint because little bits will get on the cake that will be eaten!
I would say you could use something that your not supposed to eat but don't use something that you know is toxic.
I would use regular colored fondant and then cover it in the sparkle dusts to match the color you need.

MLG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MLG Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks. I will just stick to the cake supplies!

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:58am
post #5 of 6

Another way to make your luster etc. go farther would be to color the fondant before you paint it that way you have a base coat of color to enhance it. Also if you steam it right before it goes out, like with a hand held clothes steamer, it'll make it shiny without so much luster dust. Good luck!

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:40am
post #6 of 6

I found some Gold color on GSA it's made especially for fondant

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=25405&name=Gold%20Glaze%20Ready%20to%20Use%2020g%20by%20Bakery%20Crafts

If you want to go with mixing your own here is a link to Gold metallic and mix with vanilla or lemon extract...some use a clear alcohol like everclear....

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=25186&name=Metallic%20Gold%20Glitter%20Flakes%20(1%20ounce)%20by%20GSA

There's also some color spray mist that are gold metallic (gives same affect as airbrushing)

There's more out there...I found these because of a cake I need to do this weekend & was looking for silver
HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%