Straw Hat

Decorating By LittleFoxBaking Updated 23 Mar 2011 , 2:25am by FlourPots

LittleFoxBaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleFoxBaking Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 12:09pm
post #1 of 4

Hi all, I'm newly registered on the forum though I have been religiously reading all the posts for a while now. I would like to thank you all for the wonderful information and advice supplied here.

I would also like to ask for some advice, I've recently started selling my cakes having only done ones for family previously and I have an order for a straw hat like this
[url]http://www.hugestore.com/swatches/sailor_straw_big.jpg

but I have no idea which tip to use and if I should just make the brim out of buttercream.

She likes lemon bon bons so I was thinking a simple sponge with lemon filling and toffee buttercream?

Any advice would be much appreciated xx

3 replies
LittleFoxBaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleFoxBaking Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 11:47pm
post #2 of 4

no one have any advice?

RedRoxx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RedRoxx Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 12:08am
post #3 of 4

It's kind of hard to tell what the straw hat really looks like up close with that picture, so I would suspect it's hard to advise you on what tip to use.

I've googled a few other images to try and find a better one, but I don't know if it's the same kind of pattern.

but it seems that the sailor type straw hat is just this kind of straw braid

I would try and used basket weave tip, but "upside down" or I see here that wilton does have a plain flat one (44) that could work if you have it.

It'll probably take some practice, and a nice amount of time to do, but that's where I think I'd start.

I'd also try and "draw" out the swirl of the braids around the brim and the top before I frost it with the buttercream. This way, you can have an easier time making sure that the width of the braids stay close to the same.

Unless someone else has a better idea.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 2:25am
post #4 of 4

Can you do it in fondant?

I made a tote based on a straw one...you can see it here: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1754452

The bottom is all individual fondant braids...I think it would work for a hat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%