Alternatives To Fondant Forming Cups?

Decorating By ChefAmandaMarie Updated 23 Mar 2011 , 11:14am by Davwattie

ChefAmandaMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAmandaMarie Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 5:22am
post #1 of 7

Do you guys use any house hold things that yield the same result? I am doing a lot of flowers and I dont have the funds right now to get a bunch of forming cups.. what are some ideas?

6 replies
CookieD-oh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieD-oh Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 5:51am
post #2 of 7

Empty egg carton...cut a paper towel tube in half length-wise...make cups out of aluminum foil. Lots of options icon_wink.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 5:54am
post #3 of 7

Depends what size you need. I found some cheap ice cube trays to make small round ice cubes, which are fantastic for little flowers.

I bought a heap of these cheap paint pallettes(sp?) that have 10 round holes in each, which are very handy:

I also use baking trays like these which are good to give a gentle curve (used for the large daisies on this cake: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1953106 ):

For flowers that need a deeper throat (eg. these hibiscus http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1866451 ) I used Wilton Lily nails, which I line with a square of foil (just place the foil and press the two parts of the lily nail together to mold the foil) - after the flower is made you just lift out the foil and and use another square of foil to line it for the next flower:

ChefAmandaMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefAmandaMarie Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 5:46am
post #4 of 7

thanks everyone for the input.. I just ordered some palettes off eBay and im using some egg cartons

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 9:51am
post #5 of 7

I just started using aluminum foil, and love it. I just place it over one of my plastic former cups to get the right shape, and I can make as many as I need, and also tweak the shape here and there as needed.

mmmmmmmmcake1954 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmmmmmmmcake1954 Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 10:47am
post #6 of 7

I just picked up some of the empty apple trays that seperate the apples inside the boxes at my local supermarket - for free! icon_wink.gif

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 11:14am
post #7 of 7

Don't know whether you have 'Toffifee' sweets over there but they have little gold plastic trays for the sweets in the box which are great for smaller flowers.

I suppose you could check boxes of chocolate to see what different shape trays they have in them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%