Baby Shower Cake...cake Balls Question Please Please Help

Decorating By chatnoir5638 Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 5:32pm by sweetmonkeycheese

chatnoir5638 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chatnoir5638 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 6:12am
post #1 of 11

So I have a cake I am making for my daughter's playgroup tomorrow. Long story short, my cake that was supposed to be 3" high and 12 in diameter is now 1.5" high and looks squat like a torte. Very upsetting. I have not been feeling well all weekend and am at a crossroads: while I am very new to the playgroup and I DO NOT want to disappoint the group, I am TIRED of worrying about this thing and want to make it into cake balls.

1. What does everyone think about this idea? I can get 3 types of them (about 60+) from this cake easily and I know it will be relatively simple to do first thing in the morning.
2. Is it horrible of me to walk in with cake balls (which no one will mostly likely know what they are) when an actual cake is expected?
3. I realize this is pretty petty in the grand scheme of things, but I really want to make a good impression. Granted, this is a free thing (except not to me, of course!) and most people would prob either buy a cake or make one from a box.

Ok...hit me. What do you all think????? yea?nay?

10 replies
aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 6:55am
post #2 of 11

Since its a kids playgroup....I would say cake balls would be great and easy to eat!

Just say you thought they would be just the thing for kids. Adults and kids are always amazed by them.

Good luck and feel better.

Dee in AZ

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 7:45pm
post #3 of 11

I think you could get away w/ it since it's a kids thing, say it Toddler frendly cake! Kids love finger foods and so do most moms.

Minstrelmiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Minstrelmiss Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 7:56pm
post #4 of 11

Go for it!
1. Don't tell them the bad that lead you to change directions.
2 Tell them that you wanted to limit waste, mess, portions, and needless plates and forks! Your green and economical icon_biggrin.gif

You planned it that way right? icon_razz.gifthumbs_up.gif

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:00pm
post #5 of 11

When you say they're "expecting" a cake, did they specifically ASK for a cake or did they just ask you to provide dessert and you decided on a cake? Why not call the person who asked you to do it and ask if you can do cake balls instead?

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 11

It says in the title of the thread that it is a baby shower. Do you mean it is a baby shower for all the mothers in your daughter's playgroup?

JohnnyCakes1966 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JohnnyCakes1966 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:39pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

It says in the title of the thread that it is a baby shower. Do you mean it is a baby shower for all the mothers in your daughter's playgroup?

Right. I didn't get the impression this was something for kids. It's for a baby shower. If someone in the group mentioned ordering a cake and you said you'd bake one, then they really might want you to bring a cake....even though you're doing it for free. I would talk with the person organizing the shower and see if they care. You don't want to show up with cake balls and have someone say, "I thought you were bringing a cake. We really wanted a cake." And keep in mind, some people - even those who like cake - don't like cake balls. A substitute for cake might be cupcakes, but cake balls are totally different.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 8:51pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatnoir5638

So I have a cake I am making for my daughter's playgroup tomorrow.

umm title says baby shower and the 1st line say daughters playgroup, now I am confused. if it's really a baby shower for a PG mom, there needs to be cake! If it's for a a playgroup then cake calls are fine.

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:06pm
post #9 of 11

If it is a baby shower, you need to bring a cake. I agree that not everyone likes cake balls. Some people are even disgusted at them. Cupcakes are a different thing. But then you would have to make them? Would that be easier? Maybe use the cake you have and stack half circles to make a moon? And make cupcakes to accompany it?

Dizzymaiden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dizzymaiden Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 9:09pm
post #10 of 11

I just wrote a bit on this and feel that they are so popular (even Starbucks has them) that they will be the hit of the party!

PLUS - it is a great way to make a cake disaster work.

Go for it.

sweetmonkeycheese Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 5:32pm
post #11 of 11

just wondering if ya made teh cake or cake balls and how they went over

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%