Fondant 101

Decorating By sccandwbfan Updated 21 Mar 2011 , 2:55pm by Mfattore

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 8:54pm
post #1 of 6

Ok, I know that there are a billion threads about fondant on these boards, but....

How thick do you roll your fondant out to cover a cake?

I've successfully and unsuccessfully cover cakes with purchased and MMF fondant. I've mixed it together. I've purchased already colored and colored it myself. I took the classes and I've read the books. Please tell me your tried and true. I'm sick of fondant failure. icon_sad.gif

TIA
Christy

5 replies
cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 6

I roll it out to 1/4" thick. I have found that, if I roll it any thicker or thinner than this, I will have a problem.

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:41pm
post #4 of 6

1/4" which is the thickness of the average cake board.
On occasion when I know the cake/icing under the fondant is not as smooth as it should be I have gone thicker. I like the look the thicker layer (no more than 1/2") but not the taste. - plus the extra expense isn't great eithericon_smile.gif

jones5cm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jones5cm Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 6

WOW!! 1/4 if an inch??? that's very thick. I've found that I can work with it a lot better around 1/8" and if my MMF is working well for me that day, I can even go 1/16"icon_smile.gif - But of course, the main reason I do that is because my aim is to have great tasting cakes as well... I just don't think I could swallow all that MMFicon_smile.gif

Mfattore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mfattore Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:55pm
post #6 of 6

I have a hard time getting it thinner than 1/4 inch but I agree that thinner is better. Tastewise, costwise, and to work with once on the cake. I purchased "the mat" from sweetwise and it is really helpful. It gives you more time to measure and roll out evenly and thin because it prevents air from drying your fondant while you take your time. Google "the mat sweetwise" and watch the video.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%