I Need A Cake Idea

Decorating By jen4230 Updated 30 Mar 2011 , 5:03am by linstead

jen4230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen4230 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 14

Ok My moms 60th birthday falls on Easter this year. We always have easter dinner and I bring an Easter cake but this year being her birthday I'm trying to come up with an idea to combine her birthday with easter. Anyone have any ideas? I had one tell me what you think my idea was to make like a basket full of flowers and have a bunny in the center of it but I kinda want to do something a little nicer. Thank you ahead oftime for any ideas. icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:04am
post #2 of 14

You could do an Easter basket of memories. Either: 1) make little gumpaste symbols of memories (not sure what you'd put in there, but you could think of something) or 2) do edible image photos . You could put them on gumpaste or on cookies. You could also put some little candy or choc eggs in the basket and/or Easter grass (or icing grass). I did a photo album for my Mom's 60th/retirement. Or think about what she really likes (e.g. quilting) and incorporate that into an Easter cake - like an easter egg quilt..

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 7:17pm
post #3 of 14

Maybe since it's her 60th birthday, which is a milestone, you could make her a birthday cake separate from easter and focus more on celebrating her birthday. Or possibly do one of each on a small scale. Maybe it's just me, but I don't think that people who share birthdays with holidays have to have that holiday be the theme of their birthday. Just a thought!

sweetaudrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetaudrey Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 8:43am
post #4 of 14

I like the basket of memories idea for sure.

Or you could do a more traditional teired cake with easter colors but with decorations that would describe your mom more. Depends on the route you want to take with it.

hth!! thumbs_up.gif

SecretAgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SecretAgentCakeBaker Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 12:58pm
post #5 of 14

Skip the Easter cake this year and just make a cake for your mom. Use her favorite colors, not Easter colors, and things that she likes. Will anyone in your family really be upset if the cake is not Easter-themed for one year?

Have fun!

jen4230 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen4230 Posted 25 Mar 2011 , 10:41pm
post #6 of 14

Thank you everyone for the great ideas. I'm thinking i'm just going to focus on her birthday seeings it is her 60 noone will really care if it's not easter themed. It's a big milestone for her so i want to make it about her.. icon_biggrin.gif

endymion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
endymion Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 9:29am
post #7 of 14

If you are putting "60" on the cake, maybe the zero could be an Easter egg? Other than a little nod to Easter, I would make the primary focus of the cake her life, as others have said. Egg shapes could make nice frames for edible images of family pictures, though...

ChrisJack1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJack1 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 12:14pm
post #8 of 14

Since this birthday is a milestone, I agree that you should just concentrate on your mom. Maybe someone else could make some Easter cupcakes or something if they REALLY want the Easter theme? I would treat her like any other client - favorite colors, flowers, etc. - then incorporate some wonderful memories in the design. No matter what you do, I'm sure your mom will love it! icon_smile.gif

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 2:20pm
post #9 of 14

I am over 60 and I must say that it is not a 'milestone'... so I think that the cake that 'I am baker' has on her blog by the same name is perfect for a mom, no matter her age...

That particular cake I have made three times in the last month, once just for myself...I made it for my 85 year old mother for her birthday and it was too much icing (BC) for someone who resents being called 'elderly'... then I made it for our Sunday night Bible study group of people over 60...they loved it because I made it with 'doctored' whipped cream over an angel food cake...everyone is either on Atkins or WW or running several miles a day...it would be perfect for a light cake for someone who is active and turning 60! icon_biggrin.gif

Make her cake design stand out for her special day, not the closest holiday to her birthday! ...and quit making her feel like she has reached a milestone!!!! She is just having a birthday...she is not turning 100!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif Then she can go out and walk a couple of miles to burn off the calories, hopefully, without using a walker! (Now do not get all defensive about the walker...there are two of my younger siblings who are having to use them, so I am not making fun of that particular medical problem...I am just saying that turning 60 is NOT some achievement...this is not the 1700's) hehehehehe

ChrisJack1 Posted 26 Mar 2011 , 3:05pm
post #10 of 14

lutie - I meant no disrespect to the fact that she's turning 60. Any birthday that has a zero in it is a milestone to me. icon_smile.gif She could be turning 20,30,40,50, etc. I consider them ALL milestones!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistiek2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistiek2006 Posted 27 Mar 2011 , 5:19am
post #12 of 14

For my mil big birthday a few years back, it was on Easter and I did 2 cakes. 1 was a smaller Easter cake and 1 was a single layer jukebox cake with her favorite Elvis Presley record being the selection choice. We cut the Easter cake and she got to take the jukebox cake home for her and my fil to celebrate with. We just made it an all day celebration. Kids got to do the afternoon Easter thing while the evening was devoted just to her. She did have a special corsage to wear all day and a crown that my girls made from her favorite flowers.

ChrisJack1 Posted 29 Mar 2011 , 12:02pm
post #13 of 14

I have to smile - after this post I got a request for a lady who was turning 61! Her only criteria was that red and black be incorporated. I was worried it would come out too harsh, but I think I did ok. icon_wink.gif

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 30 Mar 2011 , 5:03am
post #14 of 14
Quote:

The first one (chocolate numbers with the flowers) is gorgeous!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%