The Closest I've Ever Come To A Cakewreck!

Decorating By mahal50881 Updated 20 Mar 2011 , 3:57pm by mommynana

mahal50881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahal50881 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 5:10am
post #1 of 12

So, this is only the second topsy turvy I've ever done. I think I had the cake out too long while I was working on it. Mostly because I didn't think my fridge could accommodate an 18" board. As I was working on it, the bottom layer began to smush down and out. I think it was a combination of the way I carved it and also the heat. I had to peel the fondant off, re-ice, shove the board in the fridge, re-fondant and re-stack and decorate, then shove the whole thing back in the fridge again. The next day, I had to deliver it an hour away, praying the whole time that the bumps in the road wouldn't cause the bottom layer to completely collapse. I don't think I've said so many "Hail Mary"s since high school! Anyway, if you look at the pic, I think the shape of the half smushed bottom layer actually made the cake look more cute and I got an email from the customer after, saying how much everyone loved the cake and it was delicious! So, I get to live another day as a cake decorator and I won't give up....yet.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1978085/

11 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 9:03am
post #2 of 12

Well, I'd say you made a spectacular save. thumbs_up.gif

And I also think the slightly squished bottom tier is very cute. icon_biggrin.gif

HTH

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 9:56am
post #3 of 12

thats one of the marvelous things about topsy turvys, there supposed to be weirdly shaped XD great cake and good save icon_smile.gifX

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 11:34am
post #4 of 12

it almost looks like the top tier and teapot are sitting on a round pillow. icon_lol.gif i can only hope my first topsy turvy cake turns out half as good.

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 12:18pm
post #5 of 12

I think it looks GREAT!!! AND I totally feel your pain!!! I killed my topsy turvy yesterday after finishing it!!! I blame it all on the super moon! LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/user/Karen421

bellaudreycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaudreycakes Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:54pm
post #6 of 12

that is too funny I had the same thing happen to me this weekend with a topsy turvy cake, thankfully it made it ok in one piece but I swore I would never do one again lol it was soo stressful especially the ride to deliver it icon_eek.gif

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 3:40pm
post #7 of 12

I did a topsy -turvy last month & that happened to me too! It's a curse! Yours looks great, though! Nice job!

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 12

I like it. It looks like it sitting on a cushion. Now the question is, can you do it on purpose? LOL

mommynana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommynana Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 12

MY hat goes off to you, Mahll50881, You did a great job saving the cake, thumbs_up.gif My first topsy turvy was a mashwreck, After watching janalles viedo

over and over again I though I had it down pat (NOT SO MUCH) She makes it look so easy, I don`t know if i`ll ever try one again i`m to scared, And i love the look of thoes cakes

Karen421, You did a great job on yours to thumbs_up.gif

mommynana Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 12

MY hat goes off to you, Mahll50881, You did a great job saving the cake, thumbs_up.gif My first topsy turvy was a mashwreck, After watching janalles viedo

over and over again I though I had it down pat (NOT SO MUCH) She makes it look so easy, I don`t know if i`ll ever try one again i`m to scared, And i love the look of thoes cakes

mommynana Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 3:56pm
post #11 of 12

mommynana Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 3:57pm
post #12 of 12

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%