Um Cake Questions

Decorating By aygarcia Updated 20 Mar 2011 , 2:30am by platinumlady

aygarcia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aygarcia Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 10:50pm
post #1 of 4

Someone asked me to may a "U" birthday cake...any ideas on getting the cake the right shape? Can't find a pan that will work

3 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 12:51am
post #2 of 4

The Wilton horseshoe pan has a "U" shape.

Or you can make a template of the style and size "U" you want, then use the template to cut a sheet cake to order.


rharris524 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rharris524 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 1:50am
post #3 of 4

the "U" is far boxier than a horseshoe and it's really wide...depending on what size you need. I'd probably carve it out of a 9X13

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:30am
post #4 of 4

There are pans that you can arrange blocks to make the shape (number or letter) you want ... however, the shapes tend to be "boxy" and don't look natural. You'd be better off making a template or cutting free hand.

To do the template you can either print the letter using word or publisher (has more options) then have it to print out poster size & it will print out on more than one page ... then you will use that as an outline to cut the cake.

I also brought letters from my local craft store they are great for an 9x13 pan...if the letter needs to be larger then the template method would be the best route to go


Quote by @%username% on %date%