Cookies For Dogs

Lounge By corpsequeen Updated 20 Mar 2011 , 4:45pm by corpsequeen

corpsequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
corpsequeen Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 13

I'm looking for some good recipes for dog cookies/treats and cute pet safe ways to decorate them. My friend and I are throwing a japan disaster relief spa party through our spa buisness and all proceeds are going to the red cross in japan. I want to sell the dog cookies at the party and donate all proceeds to animal disaster relief in japan.

All natural/organic recipes are preferred but not required icon_smile.gif thanks in advance!

12 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 10:34pm
post #2 of 13

I looked these up. internet is full of these recipes. google organic made dog treats recipes

http://www.squidoo.com/beefcrunchiedogtreats

corpsequeen Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 13

Oh I'd like to add that I would prefer to be able to use cookie cutters for bone and puppy shaped cookies icon_smile.gif

corpsequeen Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 10:39pm
post #4 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

I looked these up. internet is full of these recipes. google organic made dog treats recipes

http://www.squidoo.com/beefcrunchiedogtreats

Thank you for the link! I posted here just hoping someone has made some before and fed them to their own dogs for happy doggies with happy tummies icon_smile.gif

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 13

I make people/dog biscuits. That is, biscuits that both people and dogs can eat. Take cracker recipes, substitute at least half ww flour for the white flour, roll out thicker than recipe suggestion, and bake at a lower temperature for a longer time. If you market these as biscuits that people can eat, too, you'll sell more. And it's another way for people to bond with their dogs.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 12:38am
post #6 of 13
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 1:13am
post #7 of 13

I've made the recipe below several times and they're always a hit. My dd who is a dog trainer at PetSmart, makes them for all her "graduates" . I once made these for my coworkers with dogs and one person actually ate one before I could stop him and he said they were pretty good. Whenever DH makes bacon, we put the fat in the freezer so I can make them whenever the mood strikes.

One of these days I plan to try some icing from this web site to decorate them: http://www.k9cakery.com/ Actually, I'd like to try a lot of their products! icon_lol.gif

"Pooch Munchies"

3 cups whole wheat flour
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 cup bacon fat
1 cup shredded cheese (any kind, I usually use cheddar)
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup milk

Place flour and garlic salt in large bowl; stir in bacon fat and add cheese and egg. Gradually add enough milk to form a dough. Knead dough and roll out to about 1/2" thick. Use cookie cutters to cut out desired shapes. Bake on greased cookie shee at 400 for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned.

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 1:43am
post #8 of 13

My favorite:

Peanut Butter Oatmeal
1 1/2 cups hot water
1 c quick cooking oatmeal
2 cups whole wheat flour
2T vegetable oil
1/2 c peanut butter
1/4 c wheat germ

Pour hot water over oatmeal. Let cool to lukewarm. Stir in oil and peanut butter. Add wheat germ and enough flour to make stiff dough. Roll on floured cutter board and cut. Put on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 3 to 3 1/2 hours in 250-degree oven until dry.

If you're feeling really ambitious....I sometimes dip half of a baked bone in melted carob chips. Looks nice...but I don't my dogs care either way.

And...these make your house smell really good!

corpsequeen Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:47am
post #9 of 13

Oo both of those sound great! I think I'll try both and add a few of the sweet and a few of the savory cookies for each bag. I did read somewhere to use carob or yogurt chips, melt then down and dip then sprinkle with sugar free sprinkles. Does anyone know where to find carob chips, yogurt chips, or sugar free sprinkles?

corpsequeen Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:59am
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by travmand

My favorite:

Peanut Butter Oatmeal
1 1/2 cups hot water
1 c quick cooking oatmeal
2 cups whole wheat flour
2T vegetable oil
1/2 c peanut butter
1/4 c wheat germ

Pour hot water over oatmeal. Let cool to lukewarm. Stir in oil and peanut butter. Add wheat germ and enough flour to make stiff dough. Roll on floured cutter board and cut. Put on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 3 to 3 1/2 hours in 250-degree oven until dry.

If you're feeling really ambitious....I sometimes dip half of a baked bone in melted carob chips. Looks nice...but I don't my dogs care either way.

And...these make your house smell really good!

do these really have to baked 3-3 1/2 hours? Goodness! My dads not going to be happy with the gas bill lol

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 4:11am
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpsequeen

Does anyone know where to find carob chips, yogurt chips, or sugar free sprinkles?

Most health food store will have them...Whole Foods, Vitamin Cottage, etc.

travmand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
travmand Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 2:49pm
post #12 of 13

Carob and yogurt I would say health food store...however...I'm lucky enough to have an Amish store that carries all kinds of cool stuff.

Yes...I bake these for about three hours. I did one time, bake them for about 20 minutes on 350 and just turned my oven off and left them in it overnight. Seemed to do the trick also. You just want to dehydrate them really good.

Oh...and one time I took sesame seeds...put them in a ziplock bag and added food coloring. Made little sprinkles. Only thing is...after a while it discolored the yogurt and made then kind of dingy.

And just for the record...my retriever will eat anything so she gobbles
these right down. But my little dog actually doesn't care for the treats that I dip in carob or yogurt. He'll eat them...but I think he just doesn't want my retriever to knab them. icon_smile.gif

corpsequeen Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 4:45pm
post #13 of 13

I've got a picky lab myself, her name is Lola. All my other dogs will gobble down ANYTHING! but Lola usually won't eat anything unless my brother tells her to eat it haha. So she will be my true test when I get my cookies finished!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%