Oh Wow Why Didn't I Find This Sooner?

Decorating By fortheloveofcake1984 Updated 25 Mar 2011 , 11:04pm by Renaejrk

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 5:13pm
post #31 of 63

Wow, thanks for posting the YouTube video. That made it look so easy, and yummy. I tried making SMBC years ago because someone here said it tasted like Bettercreme and I had an order for a cake with that icing on it. It was awful. It tasted like I was chewing on a stick of butter. It whipped up pretty and fluffy and looked very tasty but it was soooo nasty. Ive stayed away from IMBC and SMBC ever since. Ill have to give the IMBC recipe a try though. It looks really good.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 5:16pm
post #32 of 63

im sure its been asked before, But can you use imbc underneath fondant? Tyx

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 5:21pm
post #33 of 63

Yes, you can use imbc and smbc under fondant, I just make sure it's chilled before applying the fondant so the heat from my hands can warm it up and adhear better without squishing the soft icing. As for the buttery taste, imbc and smbc both take a lot of flavoring. I normally use about 1/4 cup of flavoring per batch to get the right flavor.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 5:28pm
post #34 of 63

Thanks stsapph icon_smile.gif Will have to try it, i did try it once, ended up with butter soup ooops lol! x

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 6:00pm
post #35 of 63

I must say I'm leaning more and more toward the swiss meringue buttercream -- I haven't tried it yet -- but I'm leaning toward it more. Thanks for the video, that helps a lot! icon_biggrin.gif

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 6:24pm
post #36 of 63

FYI the video posted is for IMBC. It's an excellent video. I have his book and that's what I started with.

There's a video I like for Swiss Meringue Buttercream. You'll arrive at the same thing but some people think SMBC is easier.

Here's the smbc video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBBoRMWcfNc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 6:28pm
post #37 of 63

I haven't made swiss meringue before but I'd like to try it....I've made a meringue before but found it to be very unstable, but it had no butter in it.

I noticed in the recipe I printed that I'm to use a whisk. Will the icing still be creamy and not full of bubbles?

I have a noncrusting icing that tastes good but it kind of makes me sick because it has a high butter and shortening content and also a lot of dairy in it, and I think the swiss meringue would maybe be easier on my stomach.

Lastly, how firm does this icing get in the fridge? I assume it does not work under fondant, so mainly for icing buttercream cakes?

Sorry for the newbie sounding questions, but I think I might be ready to experiment with this recipe now.

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 6:43pm
post #38 of 63

It works under fondant. There's IMBC under this MMF cake (that's not my blog by the way, but I know that Angela AngelFood4 at CC uses it under her MMF and sometimes without fondant.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/08/super-mario-bros-cake.html

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2011/03/korean-hanbok-dol-cake.html

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/06/music-themed-80th-birthday-cake.html

People use the paddle when they add the butter so that it doesn't get the bubbles. They use the whisk at the beginning with the eggs only.

It behaves like butter, so it will firm up in the refrigerator so that you can add your fondant.

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 6:44pm
post #39 of 63

What exactly is the difference between Swiss Meringue and Italian Meringue?

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 6:48pm
post #40 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

What exactly is the difference between Swiss Meringue and Italian Meringue?

Just the process. Watch the two videos and you'll see. But you arrive at the same thing.

I also put a tiny description above in another post in this thread.

They end up tasting the same.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 6:49pm
post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagenthatnj

It works under fondant. There's IMBC under this MMF cake (that's not my blog by the way, but I know that Angela AngelFood4 at CC uses it under her MMF and sometimes without fondant.

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/08/super-mario-bros-cake.html

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2011/03/korean-hanbok-dol-cake.html

http://sugarsweetcakesandtreats.blogspot.com/2010/06/music-themed-80th-birthday-cake.html

People use the paddle when they add the butter so that it doesn't get the bubbles. They use the whisk at the beginning with the eggs only.

It behaves like butter, so it will firm up in the refrigerator so that you can add your fondant.

It sounds similar to the recipe I use...only the base of mine is powdered sugar and evaporated milk instead of the sugar and egg whites...but the behavior sounds the same....

What is the behavior at a summer room temp, say 75?

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 6:57pm
post #42 of 63

Has anyone used SMBC/IMBC and FMBC as a comparison? I love my FMBC and wondering if the others are better or something? - I like not having to cook my FMBC but see very few people mention using it!

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 7:16pm
post #43 of 63

Kitagrl, I've used and piped IMBC in the summer, July, in NJ. It's been very stable, unless you put it right under the sun, then it starts melting.

Renaejrk, I've heard a lot of people make FMBC too, even so that they can use the yolks from the eggs and not waste anything. I've heard people who mix the two, also.

I think FMBC is flufflier and lighter, but I've heard that it is not as stable as the others because of the fat content in the yolks?

sweettoothmom1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettoothmom1 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 8:01pm
post #44 of 63

so... if i use hi-ratio shortening, will it be more stable? miami weather often above 80 degrees

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 8:24pm
post #45 of 63

I think some people actually do half butter and half hi-ratio shortening.

I happen not to like shortening and that's why IMBC is the only one I make, but I do understand about the weather.

Here's two threads for you:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-667922-.html

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-673934.html

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 9:38pm
post #46 of 63
Quote:

Kitagrl, I've used and piped IMBC in the summer, July, in NJ. It's been very stable, unless you put it right under the sun, then it starts melting.

Renaejrk, I've heard a lot of people make FMBC too, even so that they can use the yolks from the eggs and not waste anything. I've heard people who mix the two, also.

I think FMBC is flufflier and lighter, but I've heard that it is not as stable as the others because of the fat content in the yolks?

What is FMBC?

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 9:55pm
post #47 of 63

French Meringue Buttercream, the third of the european buttercreams.

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 9:57pm
post #48 of 63

Ah!! I never heard of that one. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 9:58pm
post #49 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

Quote:

What is FMBC?

French Meringue Buttercream, which is similar in technique to SMBC but uses whole eggs rather than just egg whites. The flavour is richer & has more depth to it. You do have to be more careful to get the eggs to the correct temperature as salmonella (if present) in eggs is usually found in the fat content (ie the yolks). The risk of salmonella from whites is very low, but yolks are a whole different thing.

You can make a particularly delicious FMBC by using brown sugar and adding some home-made caramel and a good slug of bourbon to it - absolutely divine! If anyone's interested there's a recipe in 'Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey' by Jill O'Connor...please dont ask me to post the recipe here though my view on sharing recipes is that if I found it online or its my own version of a recipe then its okay to share, but if its directly out of a book then in all fairness to the books author you should get hold of the book if you want it. So I guess Im saying please dont PM me for the recipe either. But it is a seriously good buttercream, and a great book otherwise, so worth getting hold of IMO.

icon_smile.gif

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 10:12pm
post #50 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

my view on sharing recipes is that if I found it online or its my own version of a recipe then its okay to share, but if its directly out of a book then in all fairness to the books author you should get hold of the book if you want it. So I guess Im saying please dont PM me for the recipe either. But it is a seriously good buttercream, and a great book otherwise, so worth getting hold of IMO.

icon_smile.gif

Totally agree.

Here's a beginning explanation for FMBC.

http://www.joepastry.com/category/pastry-components/buttercream/french-buttercream/

Then you can really flavor it with anything else.

But here's the recipe from one of my favorite blogs, straight from the Sticky, Chewy, Messy book.

http://leitesculinaria.com/2860/recipes-chocolate-mayonnaise-cupcakes-butterscotch-frosting.html

Coral3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Coral3 Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 10:22pm
post #51 of 63
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coral3

my view on sharing recipes is that if I found it online or its my own version of a recipe then its okay to share, but if its directly out of a book then in all fairness to the books author you should get hold of the book if you want it. So I guess Im saying please dont PM me for the recipe either. But it is a seriously good buttercream, and a great book otherwise, so worth getting hold of IMO.

icon_smile.gif

Totally agree.

Here's a beginning explanation for FMBC.

http://www.joepastry.com/category/pastry-components/buttercream/french-buttercream/

Then you can really flavor it with anything else.

But here's the recipe from one of my favorite blogs, straight from the Sticky, Chewy, Messy book.

http://leitesculinaria.com/2860/recipes-chocolate-mayonnaise-cupcakes-butterscotch-frosting.html

I couldn't get that first link to work, but that second link is exactly the recipe I mean...I make those cupcakes often, they are incredibly good. thumbs_up.gif

SucreSucre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SucreSucre Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 10:22pm
post #52 of 63

I love all European buttercreams. I use French the most, especially as a filling since they all take on flavor so well. I actually make a version of FBC that uses the whole egg instead just the yolk. It's actually a variation of a "French Mousseline Buttercream". I just cut out a few steps. You make FBC or FMBC in the same method as IMBC.
I also like SMBC b/c I can just sub brown sugar for my granulated sugar and have a great caramel SMBC, plus it's easy.
I make a Fudge Icing that uses yolks, so I keep my whites for my SMBC. Since my FMBC uses whole eggs, I'm not wasting any products right now! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 10:31pm
post #53 of 63

Oh wow! I am going to try the SMBC too! Thanks for all the info!

imagenthatnj Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 11:02pm
post #54 of 63

Thank you, Coral3 for making me remember the book. Leite's Culinaria always gets recipes from books and posts them. I have bought a few books after getting a recipe there.

As for the other link, I think you would like that blog as much as I like it. Lots of pastry stuff and I think he posts every day. It's like an education on all things pastry...lol

Joepastry.com

The link to the buttercream (which you already know how to make) is in the section called Pastry Components.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 2:48pm
post #55 of 63

Please someone corrects me if I am wrong, French MB has only egg yolks, but French Mousseline BC has whole eggs in it!!!

LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:01pm
post #56 of 63

Thank you for all the advice imagenthatnj!

imagenthatnj Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:14pm
post #57 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitsky

Please someone corrects me if I am wrong, French MB has only egg yolks, but French Mousseline BC has whole eggs in it!!!

Let's say that in pastry books, you only usually find 4 types of buttercream: American, French, Italian and Swiss.

In pastry books, you would find that "Mousseline" is a mixture (such as buttercream), lightened with Italian Meringue or Crème Patisserie that can be used as a filling for cakes and pastries.

The French Mousseline buttercream, I think, was an "invention" that appeared in the Cake Bible and some other books later, using the "Mousseline" method above. It's just a combination of the FBC and IMBC that had been done many times before.

Here's another good link that I have in my files that you could find useful:

http://old.gocolumbia.edu/wombleg/HM135/Icings_Topic_Handout.htm

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:17pm
post #58 of 63
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitsky

Let's say that in pastry books, you only usually find 4 types of buttercream: American, French, Italian and Swiss.

In pastry books, you would find that "Mousseline" is a mixture (such as buttercream), lightened with Italian Meringue or Crème Patisserie that can be used as a filling for cakes and pastries.

The French Mousseline buttercream, I think, was an "invention" that appeared in the Cake Bible and some other books later, using the "Mousseline" method above. It's just a combination of the FBC and IMBC that had been done many times before.

Here's another good link that I have in my files that you could find useful:

http://old.gocolumbia.edu/wombleg/HM135/Icings_Topic_Handout.htm

Thank you! icon_smile.gif

SucreSucre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SucreSucre Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:15pm
post #59 of 63

Sorry, to confuse people in my post earlier icon_redface.gif. I'll try to make my post clearer as one of the OP has so grasiously done (and thank you for that icon_smile.gif) also so I can save face!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif
A French Buttercream is also known sometimes as Mousseline Buttercream.
1. You make a buttercream in the same method as the IMBC however you just use the yolks.
2. Then you make an Italian Meringue (just like making IMBC, just minus the butter)
3. You fold these two together in a ratio of about 3 parts buttercream to 1 part meringue, and voila!-----French Mousseline Buttercream. This of course is just the particular recipe that I have. I am sure there are many different recipes and many more trains of thought. This is just what I was taught in culinary school.

Now for some clarification. That's too many steps for me. I liked the finished outcome, just not all the prep. So I sat around thinking what could I do to cut down on the prep time icon_confused.gif. Well why not try the whole egg since it has whites and yolks in the finished product. The proportions were off, but it was worth a shot. Well I did, and it was great!party.gif So now I make "MY" version of FMBC with the whole egg using the same method of production as IMBC.
Now I'm sure there are people out there who make a buttercream just like or similar to this. It's a little more decadent than swiss and itl BC and not quite as rich as straight french. I'm definitely sure it's nothing new. It just came about in one of those "well duh" moments for me! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I hope I didn't confuse anyone further with my rambling icon_cry.gif
HTH!! icon_biggrin.gif
Oh, if any one wants to try the recipe, just PM me. icon_smile.gif

Karadactyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karadactyl Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 4:27pm
post #60 of 63

SWBC was actually the whole reason I got into cake making a few months ago. I was reading some threads on it on CC and thought, I bet I can make that! Now it's mine and my family's favorite icing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%