Michele Foster's Fondant: Wth!?

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 19 Mar 2011 , 12:37am by la_Torta_Dulce

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:54pm
post #1 of 7

I have always used MMF and haven't really had any complaints. Then I saw many people singing praises of MFF and thought I'd try it. It did taste good when I made it, but now that I'm actually using it, I am really frustrated! It is not elastic at all and any time I try to stretch or smooth it, it's ripping. Not too badly, it's just not as elastic as the MMF. Did I do something wrong? I followed her instructions specifically.

6 replies
FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 6:16pm
post #2 of 7

I found after making this a few times that it works better for me if I don't put all the called-for powdered sugar in when I initially make it. I think it calls for 2 1/2 lbs or something? I think I only do 2. It feels soft, but after letting it sit at least overnight it firms up really well. Then when I actually start working with it I add powdered sugar to just the amount I need to cover/work with until it gets where I need it to be. If I add too much I either add more glycerin (not shortening) or work more of the soft fondant into the too-hard fondant to get it more pliable.

So, try adding some glycerin and see if that helps.

Jen

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 6:42pm
post #3 of 7

add more glycerine!! I made this for first time a few weeks ago and I love this stuff!! So much better than MMF! Yes, it's tough after sitting overnight, but use more glycerine to soften it up and get it more elastic. It does miracles for your fondant! Like said,,don't add ALL of the sugar recipe may call for..the old saying" you can add more, but can't take away"..so just remember that! Let us know how it worked for you..This is my fondant for now on. No more MMF unless requested..it's too messy for me.

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 12:05am
post #4 of 7

But it was not dry, it was still moist/sticky as I kneaded it, so I kept adding! ANd I did let it sit over night.

It's like it's crumbly, versus stretchy. . . MMF seems to stretch further before ripping.

icon_confused.gif

moxey2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moxey2000 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 12:18am
post #5 of 7

Try kneading portions with greased hands (Crisco) until each is soft and pliable, then knead them all together. I have found that trying to knead large pieces just doesn't work very well. If I portion it, knead each one, then put them together I get a nice, soft, pliable ball of fondant. Store the kneaded balls inside a greased ziploc while you're kneading the others. HTH.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 12:22am
post #6 of 7

Funny, I had the exact opposite problem -- too stretchy!!! But I will say, it was BY FAR the best tasting fondant on the planet!! icon_biggrin.gif

la_Torta_Dulce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
la_Torta_Dulce Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 12:37am
post #7 of 7

It seems, from what I read, that it's okay if it seems soft when you wrap it because you can always add more sugar the next day. Try working it in smaller batches with the glycerine and then combine them once you get it where you want. hth

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%