How Much Discount?

Baking By diamondsmom Updated 24 Mar 2011 , 2:53pm by cownsj

diamondsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diamondsmom Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:38pm
post #1 of 22

Hi guys,

I got an order for 100 cupcakes for a baby shower coming up in a few weeks. I'm charging $3.00 per cupcake. I just wanted to know how much of a discount should I give the customer.

Thanks

21 replies
sistercarey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sistercarey Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 22

For 100 cupcakes, I would give them a .25 cent discount. Where I live at 1.25 is too much. (slowly but surely I'm changing the people that I deal with)

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 22

Has she agreed to the price? Why give a discount?

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 6:03pm
post #4 of 22

Maybe it's just me, but - none. Are they expecting one? The only time I discount product for volume is if I book a wedding, I'll offer a 15% discount if they also book a matching cake or cupcakes for the bridal shower(s).

Jen

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 6:05pm
post #5 of 22

I guess that depends on the reason for the discount. Did something happen? Is it a "friends & family" discount? Is the client pushing you for a lower price?

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 22

I don't give volume discounts. Once in awhile I throw in a few extra free cupcakes, but that's about it.

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 22

Whats the rationale behind giving a discount?

diamondsmom Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 22

They agreed to the price but I thought that that it was mandatory to give a discount if they ordered in bulk. I really thought of just throwing in a few extra cuppies and no discount. I even think I undercharged for the cupcakes.

Here's a link to what they actually want, the top part would be a flower and a sleeping baby in it. Let me know what you guys think.

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/132/382189676_04f46a098d.jpg

mayo2222 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mayo2222 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 6:53pm
post #9 of 22

If they agree to the price then I wouldn't give giving them a discount another thought. Thats just throwing away profit. You've already caught the fish, no reason to keep giving it more worms.

Cupcations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cupcations Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 12:37am
post #10 of 22

I wouldnt give a discount whats so ever, as you said add a couple of CC. If they buy bulk that doesnt make your job & work easier to give them up cheaper

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 12:56am
post #11 of 22

100 cupcakes is not a bulk order to me. If they start talking in the 300+ i'd maybe consider it, but usuallly the only time anyone gets a discount is if it's a large standing order (and large to me, not them) If it's a one time thing they dont' get it because it would have to be a BIG order for me to get the ingredients in bulk (which would save money) and for them to use ALL of those bulk ingredients.

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 1:10am
post #12 of 22

Also, once they agree to a price, if you start to discount then it looks like you aren't sure of your abilities and are doubting yourself. It could make them rethink the whole transaction.

Lcubed82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lcubed82 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 3:00am
post #13 of 22

With fondant cutouts on each one, shaped, that's a lot of work! I stand by NO Discount!

aces413 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aces413 Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 3:12am
post #14 of 22

Yeah...if you don't know them personally...I wouldn't give a discount. Especially if they've agreed to the price. With all that fondant and detail work...and you're doing 100 of those suckers...you deserve your money!
You're making them 100 cupcakes. It doesn't mean you're doing any less work or using any less ingredients. I would take the profit and run with it.

Congrats on the order! icon_smile.gif

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 12:48pm
post #15 of 22

I agree with everyone else, no discount. Those cupcakes are going to be gorgeous and take a lot of your talent to make them. I think that we all need to remember that we are offering unique products. We really are artist when we are making these beautiful creations.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Mar 2011 , 1:19pm
post #16 of 22

100 cupcakes isn't even "bulk" in my world. And if they didn't ask for a discount, then no, you don't give one.

Shoot I got an order for 750 cruffles. They didn't get a discount.

The only reason I give discounts is if it's a repeat, good customer, it's a multiple purchase that fills my baking schedule with one order and makes my schedule easier.

If the order makes my baking life easier,then they *might* get a discount. But probably not then either.

diamondsmom Posted 20 Mar 2011 , 3:38pm
post #17 of 22

thanks a bunch guys! I appreciated all the feed back....I felt a big boost of confidence and no discount it is! icon_biggrin.gif

BellaCupcakeCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaCupcakeCouture Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 4:02pm
post #18 of 22

Your display is going to be gorgeous! Love the flower on top. You have to share photos.

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 23 Mar 2011 , 9:52pm
post #19 of 22

I have to agree with the no discount. Making the decorations by hand will take quite a bit of time. By the end of it you will know why you deserve the price you quoted.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 12:21am
post #20 of 22

"mandatory" to give a discount? icon_confused.gif Someone pass a law I hadn't heard about or something? icon_lol.gif

Agree with the others that 100 cupcakes is not "bulk". not even close. In a 24-cavity cupcake pan, that's only about 4 pans of batter.

I had people ask for discount for "large" orders of cookies, to which I would tell them, "I have a customer who has a standing order of 25 dozen cookies every single day. THAT is what I call volume discount. Now .... how many were you talking about?" icon_rolleyes.gif

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 3:41am
post #21 of 22

i"m confused. Isnt this the same order that you posted about in another thread where the MIL was throwing a fit about the price? If you finaly got the client to agree to the price after them having to convince the MIL, why oh why would you get wishy washy now?

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7084678.html

cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 24 Mar 2011 , 2:53pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenng1482

i"m confused. Isnt this the same order that you posted about in another thread where the MIL was throwing a fit about the price? If you finaly got the client to agree to the price after them having to convince the MIL, why oh why would you get wishy washy now?

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7084678.html

The thread about whether to give a discount was the first one posted, on the 18th I think it was. Then after that question was resolved on here, THEN the MIL challenged the price and wanted out, so this thread became the 2nd one.

they do get confusing when posts are still going in on each and the dates on the new posts make it look like they could have been reversed

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%