Cake Balls That Are Not Gummy

Baking By cakeymom Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 3:29pm by Larkin121

cakeymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:15pm
post #1 of 5

Is there a way to make Cake Balls that are not gummy or tight in texture. I just tried one for the first time and I was not impressed.

cakeymom

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 5

Some people crumble the cake and spread it out to dry for a while before they make their cake balls. I've never tried it, but it might help. I generally forgo the icing as a binder and use the slightest bit of liquid - Bailey's is my favorite, but it might just be liquid coffee creamer. My cake balls aren't gummy, but they are a lot moister than some I've had (I compensate for that by adding a little shortening to the chocolate covering so that the shell is crunchier), although this may not be the texture you're after, either. I guess there's no way out but to experiment a little bit until you find something you like!

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:06pm
post #3 of 5

i've read other people on the forums even bake the crumbs slightly before using them. but yes, it's definitely possible but you may have to experiment. i usually use cake mix boxes, throw them into the food processor, and only use maybe 1-2 Tbs of icing. I'll even use tub icing because it's such a small quantity I can't tell.

lyndim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lyndim Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:21pm
post #4 of 5

I too use only a bit of frosting. You really don't need much. I've seen on "how to" videos where they use quite a bit way too much in my opinion. I'll have to try the Bailys, that sounds great!

Larkin121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Larkin121 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 5

I never use frosting, just a bit of liquor. They are moist but not soggy or gummy, and taste very high end that way. People often say they are just like a real truffle inside. My scratch cake is also really moist, so it doesn't need much of anything to bind together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%