Bride Has Her Own Flowers?

Decorating By bakerfairy Updated 22 Mar 2011 , 8:45pm by SpecialtyCakesbyKelli

bakerfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerfairy Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 16

I have a bride interested in a small wedding cake when I asked her about a topper or gumpaste flowers she replied, "don't worry about a flower topper because I have real ones for it".

How do I handle this? Do I tell her I have to arrange the flowers myself? I don't know where she is getting the flowers from or what she plans on doing with them. She is planning on having someone pick up the cake so there is no delivery or set-up on my part. I don't have a contract as I am just a small hobby-business and the bride is a highschool friend of mine. Please help! I've already agreed to do the cake for her!

15 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 11:40pm
post #2 of 16

Moving to Cake Decorating forum.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 16

Bakefairy,
Since it's being picked up, take pics on pick up and make them sign off on the state of the cake. If the florist smashes the side of the cake or screws up your work you want proof it left your business in perfect shape. You may mention to her that most flowers are not food safe and suggest she put something between the flowers and the cake. Are you worried that the flowers will effect your design? If so I would ask the plan just so I could ensure there is enough space on the tiers or cake board for what she wants to do.

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 16

Usually the florist will take care of the arrangment and making sure its food safe. Just make sure she tells the florist its for the cake

Smashme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smashme Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 16

make sure you take pictures before they take the cake, thats my only advice, maybe someone can help as far as the topper

DianneandBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianneandBrad Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 12:11am
post #6 of 16

I had a similar situation with a bride who wanted fresh calla lillies on the cake. I offered to make them out of gum paste because they show up on all the toxic flower lists. She did decide to go with other fresh flowers (still unknown) but I told her she would need to sign a contract so that I will not be responsible since they are not a food item. If you go to the Cake Boss website you can download a sample contract and even edit it for free! One of my instructors said even if doing a cake for a good friend, you don't know the entire wedding party and need to protect yourself! HTH!

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 12:23am
post #7 of 16

Since she is picking up the cake, in addition to taking pictures, have her sign a release that she is satisfied with the cake and assumes all responsibility for the cake once it leaves your doorstep. I would do this in addition to a contract--which you should have her sign now. That way, if the florist blemishes the cake, it can't come back on you.

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 12:33am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplaidgirl2

Usually the florist will take care of the arrangment and making sure its food safe. Just make sure she tells the florist its for the cake

From what I've read in previous threads on CC, the florists don't necessarily know what is toxic and what is not. Nor do they necessarily pay attention to the toxic sprays they might use on their flowers. Just playing devil's advocate. Even if it is a good friend, you're going to want to make sure your butt is covered. And if they're planning on inserting stems directly into the cake, you're going to want to send along plenty of those things (their name escapes me icon_redface.gif ) to insert the stems into instead of them being inserted directly into the cake.

If she thinks you're asking too many questions for something that isn't any of your business, just let her know that you don't want anyone getting sick off of something that YOU baked - hopefully she will understand!

Just my two cents!

Alyssa

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 7:39am
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonahsmom

From what I've read in previous threads on CC, the florists don't necessarily know what is toxic and what is not.

True. I sat next to a florist at a networking meeting and as we were talking, toxic flowers came up. He mentioned Poinsettas and I said, "and calla lillies". he said, with a quizzical look on his face, "Callas, too?" icon_eek.gif

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 9:18am
post #10 of 16
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mplaidgirl2

From what I've read in previous threads on CC, the florists don't necessarily know what is toxic and what is not. Nor do they necessarily pay attention to the toxic sprays they might use on their flowers. Just playing devil's advocate. Even if it is a good friend, you're going to want to make sure your butt is covered. And if they're planning on inserting stems directly into the cake, you're going to want to send along plenty of those things (their name escapes me icon_redface.gif ) Flower Picks - is that what you might mean?

Bluehue

to insert the stems into instead of them being inserted directly into the cake.

If she thinks you're asking too many questions for something that isn't any of your business, just let her know that you don't want anyone getting sick off of something that YOU baked - hopefully she will understand!

Just my two cents!

Alyssa

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:25pm
post #11 of 16

Yes, Blue Hue that's what I meant! icon_redface.gif That's what I wanted to call them but it just didn't sound right! Duh - sorry!!!!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:43pm
post #12 of 16
Quote:

Yes, Blue Hue that's what I meant! icon_redface.gif That's what I wanted to call them but it just didn't sound right! Duh - sorry!!!!

It happens - icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gificon_smile.gif
Blue

bakerfairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerfairy Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 7:46pm
post #13 of 16

Thanks everyone! This definitely helps! One quick question though. Do you all have lawyers look over your contracts before you have a bride sign?

Christy0722 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Christy0722 Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 7:59pm
post #14 of 16

I did my cousin's wedding cake as her gift and she wanted real flowers on top of her cake. I contacted the florist myself and made sure she understood which flowers she could and could not use. She created a beautiful topper with a plastic base to place on top of the cake. I just placed a peice of plastic wrap between the cake and plastic to help with condensation.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 8:14pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerfairy

Thanks everyone! This definitely helps! One quick question though. Do you all have lawyers look over your contracts before you have a bride sign?

I had my attorney look at the contract and got his stamp of approval. He only needs to look it over once ... not each and every time a bride signs one. I made small changes to it, as situations came up, but they were small enough that they didn't need him to review it each time. If I had a big question, I emailed his paralegal and she got me a quick answer.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 22 Mar 2011 , 8:45pm
post #16 of 16

I've had a bad experience with someone else picking up cakes too.... so that won't ever happen again on my part. I also wouldn't let someone else arrange flowers on my cake, but that's just me. I'm a bit of a control freak I guess, but i don't want someone throwing a bunch of flowers on my cake and it getting blamed on me. I've laid the law down on these issues. If they want to provide the flowers, they can bring them to me and I'll put them on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%