Rounded Cake Balls

Decorating By charleehorse Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 1:50am by imagenthatnj

charleehorse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleehorse Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 15

Hi everyone,
I've done some reading up on making cake balls, but have not yet been able to make any where the cake ball is so perfectly round and perfect texture after dipping in chocolate. The ones in the galleries are so perfect looking -- but mine end up looking like clumps of goo.

Is there a technique to use to make them look so polished?

Thanks

14 replies
holwhit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holwhit Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 15

I've made both round and conical shaped cake balls on sticks with excellent results. I just rolled them by hand and put them in the fridge to firm up. If you check out www.bakerella.com she has some very good instructions.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 15

I use a small ice cream scoop to get a uniform size and then give them a quick roll in my hands

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 10:43pm
post #4 of 15

Mine dont look perfectly round UNTIL they are dipped icon_smile.gif

holwhit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holwhit Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 10:46pm
post #5 of 15

Good call with the ice cream scoop, I'll have to try that next time icon_smile.gif

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 11:14pm
post #6 of 15

I weigh my "dough" out on my electric scales, I get them all to 23g (Just because I'm fastidious like that) and then roll from there.

Make sure your chocolate is melted correctly because if it is too thick it'll be harder to get a nice coating. If you find it is too thick you can add a bit of crisco or oil. Not sure of the quantities, maybe someone can chime in??

MamaMia808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaMia808 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 11:17pm
post #7 of 15

I don't know the quantity either. I just keep adding until it gets to the consistency I like.

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 11:21pm
post #8 of 15
SweetTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTs Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 11:45pm
post #9 of 15

After I make my cake/frosting mixture I stick it in the fridge for a little while to firm it up some then I scoop out balls using a small cookie dough scoop. After that I roll them in my hands to clean them up a little then stick them back in the fridge to firm up before dipping. I agree that the right consistency of the chocolate/candy melts is important, paramount crystals are my friend.

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 12:03am
post #10 of 15

If you want them to be the same size, then you should weigh the dough...divide it into equal parts and then roll out in a rope between waxed paper. You can then slice the rope into equal parts and roll them. They will be of uniform size and weight...Put them back in the fridge until time to dip.

charleehorse Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 12:08am
post #11 of 15

Thanks everyone!

I was using chocolate chips straight away -- so are you suggesting that I use candy melts instead? Or in conjunction with the chocolate chips?

It's when I dip it into chocolate that it becomes a big globicon_sad.gif

Sweet T: what are paramount crystals?

charleehorse Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 12:23am
post #12 of 15

PS. Thanks to holwhit. What an excellent website @ bakerella. WOW! I'm inspiredicon_smile.gif

SweetTs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTs Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 12:51am
post #13 of 15

You can use either chocolate or candy melts, I think it is personal preference. I am a hobby baker so for me it is usually a matter of what is most convenient. If I want a specific color or flavor then candy melts is what I go with. From my limited experience the candy melts work better for me if I thin them out some, that is what I use paramount crystals for. You only need 1-2Tbs per pound of coating, I tend to stay to the 1Tbs range but it varies so I just add till it feels right. My understanding is that paramount crystals (which contain palm oil) are tasteless and when using them the coating dries to a hard shell, no softening that can sometimes be the case when using crisco. I have used crisco in the past without having any difficulties but I prefer paramount crystals when I am making pops that I have to handle more after they are dipped, like purse shapes or bees.

Bakerella is an excellent source! I am certainly not an expert so maybe someone else can tell you more! HTH

Paramount Crystals http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-Paramount-Crystals/dp/B0008DIicon_eek.gifY

lutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lutie Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:24am
post #14 of 15

Make sure you post pictures!

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:50am
post #15 of 15

charleehorse, there's a video here.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0811876373/?tag=cakecentral-20

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%