I Desperately Need Help Please Need Ideas

Decorating By Ritakk Updated 21 Mar 2011 , 3:17pm by Ritakk

Ritakk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ritakk Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 6:31pm
post #1 of 12

I'm making a Train for her little brother that's turning 4 and she will be a BIG 6 a few days later. So their birthdays are always celebrated together. She specifically asked for a Chocolate cake (No sugar icing- it upsets her stomach) with big chocolate flowers.... I'm am stumped at this point.... Chocolate cake no problem, no frosting? What do I do? I am wondering about using chocolate gnache, but want to run it by mom first since she requested no frosting, but I assume it's the usual Buttercream frosting I used on last years cake she has a problem with... where if at all is there going to be any color? I thought about putting a regular whipped topping on the top middle portion of the cake and arrange piped choclate flowers? I'm just not feeling this very well....Thanks for any and all help.

11 replies
Sangriacupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sangriacupcake Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 12

If she can have ganache, great! If not, kids love stabilized whipped cream or store-bought whipped topping. Whipped toppings can also be piped for a simple border.

For decorations, you can do all sorts of fondant figures that are fun for kids but not really meant to be eaten...cartoon characters, animals, flowers, fairies & princesses. If figures are beyond your ability, small toys can be used, which the birthday girl gets to keep, of course! You can cut out letters for her name, just remove them before eating.

hth

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 12:55am
post #3 of 12

Look up some diabetic recipes for alternatives for your icing and see if her Mom agrees to the ingredients...or whipped.

HTH!

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:13am
post #4 of 12

I made a sugar free cake and buttercream icing with splenda and it was pretty good...

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:40am
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesrock

I made a sugar free cake and buttercream icing with splenda and it was pretty good...

cakesrock...My brother-in-law just found out he is diabetic so I've been looking for a buttercream icing made with splenda. Do you mind sharing your recipe or where you found it? I was going to try an IMBC with splenda...is that what you made just subbing the splenda for the regular sugar? TIA... icon_smile.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:06am
post #6 of 12

I think this may have been it, but I lost the recipe when my computer crashed -sorry: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/273/Splenda_Chocolate_Cake12570.shtm

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:11am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesrock

I think this may have been it, but I lost the recipe when my computer crashed -sorry: http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/273/Splenda_Chocolate_Cake12570.shtm

Thanks so much... thumbs_up.gif

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:34am
post #8 of 12

I would make a garden scene. Use the chocolate cake as the dirt & have the chocolate flowers on floral wire growing out of it, add some fondant grass blades & butterflies & bees. Hmmm.... I think I just figured out how to make my mom's bday cake. She hates too. LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

Ritakk Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 9:05pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks for all the ideas and help.
Sebrina > I think you nailed it on the head! I made some royal icing butterflies and flowers last night! icon_smile.gif They turned out great, but haven't attempted to take them off the wax paper yet... I will use the ganache icing and do the little flower garden theme... I might take cool whip and mix with some cream cheese to make it stiffer then color it green like grass so the flowers will stand and the butterflies will kinda float around on wire... icon_smile.gif Thanks I can't wait to see how they both turn out!
Thanks again!
Rita

sebrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sebrina Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 10:01pm
post #10 of 12

Be sure to post pictures! icon_biggrin.gif

Ritakk Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:11pm
post #11 of 12

Boy was I exhausted after they picked up the cakes Sunday! icon_smile.gif I had soo much fun though, and I can say I was pleasantly surprised how my vision took shape, not exactly but was satisfied as so was the clent! icon_smile.gif Thanks all! Wheeewww! Here is the Picture of the finished product!
Rita

Ritakk Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 12

Here is the link to the picture, I couldn't add it here... Sorry and Thanks again all you CC'ers!

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1980114

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%