General Question About Density

Decorating By jayhova80 Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 5:36pm by Marianna46

jayhova80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayhova80 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:03pm
post #1 of 17

Hello everyone, I just wanted to know do the majority of your customers prefer denser cakes, such as WASC. Also are cupcakes supposed to be dense as well? Thanks

16 replies
scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:52pm
post #2 of 17

I prefer dense personally, but I am not sure of the general public. For business, I felt I had to find new recipes. These new recipes are slightly lighter, but very moist. I am interested to hear what others say also.

jayhova80 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 3:54pm
post #3 of 17

I too prefer mine dense, but while I was watching cupcake challenge the judges were talking about the cupcakes needing to be airy.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:02pm
post #4 of 17

Do you think southern cakes are more dense? I'm wondeing how much region reflects taste. The books I have from bakers in the north and west have much lighter cakes in general. I'm from the south and we had heavy, dense cakes. Look at red velvet (now adopted by the south), carrot cake, hummingbird cake, lane cake, and coconut cakes to name a few. When you eat a slice of one of these, you need a nap.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:21pm
post #5 of 17

I prefer lighter cakes unless I have to carve, then I want a denser cake. I agree with the judges, cupcakes should be light and airy.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 17

I prefer lighter cakes unless I have to carve, then I want a denser cake. I agree with the judges, cupcakes should be light and airy.

Bubbl3h3ad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bubbl3h3ad Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:34pm
post #7 of 17

IMHO, cupcakes need to be light and airy. But with cakes, if they are light and airy, things like fondant can squash them! I prefer denser cakes and fluffy cupcakes. Just my preference though.

divinecc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divinecc Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 5:20pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbl3h3ad

IMHO, cupcakes need to be light and airy. But with cakes, if they are light and airy, things like fondant can squash them! I prefer denser cakes and fluffy cupcakes. Just my preference though.

Ditto. But my husband likes a lighter cake, can't please em all!

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 5:47pm
post #9 of 17

Not to change the subject.... but speaking of density...Would you classify WASC as a pound cake?

I almost feel like it could be a bit more when i compare it to texture of "pound cake" wedding cakes I have had.

divinecc Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 2:48pm
post #10 of 17

I def think WASC is pretty dense, but I don't think its as dense as the pounds cakes I have tried....maybe I am wrong?????

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:11pm
post #11 of 17

i would not classify WASC as a pound cake.

jayhova80 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:26pm
post #12 of 17

Thanks for all the input, Im trying to decide on my cake and cupcake recipes. I like the versatility of the WASC recipe but not sure how dense the cupcakes would be with that recipe. I have some testing to do this weekend. I just started getting into baking and decorating not too long ago and Im amazed at how much of a learning curve there is. You guys rock thanks again.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:29pm
post #13 of 17

my coworker made us some WASC cupcakes earlier this week and i thought they were great. not too dense. i guess i'm cool with either dense or light ... as long as it tastes good!

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 3:49pm
post #14 of 17

I have been doing a LOT of recipe testing and polling for my new job and here in seattle I've found people liking denser cakes. If it wasn't dense they said it was too dry. I've settled on a pound cake with extra egg, oil and a pkg. of pudding.

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 4:00pm
post #15 of 17

WASC is all i use, and LOVE it for both cupcakes and stacked cakes... I only brought up Pound cakes because people have asked and the only ones I ever did before... were undecorated "bunt cakes" types. Id like to eind a way to have the versatility of WASC idea in a Pound Cake... for instances where i need something more dense. icon_wink.gif

divinecc Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:21pm
post #16 of 17

WASC is also the only recipe I use for cupcakes and they don't come out as dense as the cakes. Just moist!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 5:36pm
post #17 of 17

I like both my cakes and my cupcakes to be dense - but then I'm a southern girl - LOL ! I thought that was an interesting comment about cakes that are popular in the South being denser. I hadn't thought about it before, but I think it's true!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%