How To Make A Musical Staff Around Cake??

Decorating By drkangel200 Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 12:30am by cheatize

drkangel200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drkangel200 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 3:48am
post #1 of 8

SORRY THIS IS SO LONG! I REALLY APPRECIATE YOUR HELP!!

I need to make a musical staff(5 bars) around the perimeter of the cake.(on the sides) I don't know how to go about doing this.

First I thought I would use piping gel and a tiny bit of black gel and do a gel transfer, but when I did the test run it looked all wrong. As soon as I gently touched the wax paper the line expanded 2x it's size. When I pulled away all the gel spread and looked watery. It looked awful!

Then I tried free hand piping it onto the sides of the cake, but I can't seem to keep the line on the cake without it bowing(??). I'm leaving the test layer out overnight to dry to see how to piping gel sets, but I'm having my doubts about this working.

I was wondering what I could do to make these black lines? I'm also going to ad that I'm adding Marshmallow Fondant musical notes on top of the black line. I don't know if I should even use piping gel for this. I've never used piping gel or a transfer before in my life.
HELP!!!

7 replies
heroes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heroes Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 10:36am
post #2 of 8

I would pipe them on with RI, if your a little shaky like me when pipng then I would suggest a little trick my tutor once told me, pipe the bars with the colour of the cake then when dry pipe on top of that with the black, it worked for me to my amazement and it looked 3D when finished, if all else fails could you use Liquourice and it tastes good too. Hope im of some use. Karen xx

soccermomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermomof3 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 11:39am
post #3 of 8

I would use Sugarveil. It is wonderful, you just mix it in your blender and then pipe your design on a silicone mat that has been lightly greased. When the Sugarveil dries it is bendable and you can wrap it around the cake and hold it in place with a few well placed drops of RI. You can also tint it so it is black.

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 12:34pm
post #4 of 8

I did a cake like that and I just cut thin pieces of fondant and put them around parallel to each other. the good thing is that you don't even need to use long pieces, you can do this in sections and then just add a music note where the seams are.
let me see if i can attach a picture in a minute

Tea42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tea42 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:01pm
post #5 of 8

I also did mine with MMF but it is hard to see because the fondant underneath was so dark. I used the music to Happy Birthday too.

Someone suggest later that licorice would work too.

drkangel200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drkangel200 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 8

Thank you everyone!

I'm thinking I'll pick up some pull apart licorice and see how well that works with some clear piping gel under it.

If that doesn't work I'll try rolling thing black Fondant in sections.

What's the difference between piping gel and royal icing? I've never used either.

Thanks!

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 8

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopic-669037-previous.html&sid=084f08fd43b5bc86827ffa361439d3e6

The above post is about the same subject you are asking, it might help!

Is your cake covered in fondnt? If yes, then I suggest marking around your cake with the pin method, or indenting(?) method and then either use royal icing or food markers to draw the lines. I really never done it myself but it is just a suggestion if the licorice does not work.

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 12:30am
post #8 of 8

Shine a laser level on it. It will give you straight line of light so you can pipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%