How Early Can I Frost Cupcakes?

Baking By dulce_suenos Updated 17 Mar 2011 , 11:16pm by lorieleann

dulce_suenos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulce_suenos Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 2:55am
post #1 of 6

Hi Everybody!

I need your advice. I have 5 dozen cupcakes made and already frozen. I need them ready for Saturday around noon and I've never made this many. I'm worried that I might not have enough time to finish, since I still have to make an 8-inch cake covered in fondant. This is a birthday-cupcake/cake order.

My question is, how early can I frost them with buttercream icing? Can I thaw half of the cupcakes on Thursday morning and frost them Thursday night?

5 replies
lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 3:07am
post #2 of 6

I think that Thursday for a saturday party would be too soon. But I suppose that it really does depend on how much time each cake will take: is this a classic cupcake swirl done with a bag, or are you building a 3-D dog or other intricate design? If you are adding any fondant accents they will surely sag is placed on an buttercream in that time frame.

dulce_suenos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dulce_suenos Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 10:32am
post #3 of 6

@ lorieleann: I'm just doing the basic swirl and I plan to put the fondant accents on the day off. I've never done this many at one time, plus a cake with a lot of decorations so I'm just worried. Especially since I have to work all day Friday! icon_sad.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 6

Since the cake will be covered in fondant, it will be preserved. You can do the cupcake accents ahead of time too. Personally. I would thaw the cupcakes at the last minute and then ice and decorate.

aandecakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandecakedesign Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 6

I would do the cake Friday night and the cupcakes on saturday morning. If you are just piping the cupcakes with frosting, It should only take 20 minutes or so.

lorieleann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lorieleann Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 6

I agree on doing the cake Friday night and then piping the cupcakes sat before delivery. 5 dz will go by pretty quickly--especially if you frost them after they are in their boxes then pop on the fondant decoration. If you are working with crusting buttercream remember to put on your accent before it sets, say pipe 12 then apply decor or you might have an issue with it not sticking.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%