What's The Rule Of Thumb When Using Eggs In Frostings?

Baking By CAC74 Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 8:51pm by Michelle46

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:42pm
post #1 of 7

I have a buttercream recipe that I use that calls for egg whites. It is not boiled or anything to 'cook' them. I have also seen recipes that call for egg yolks in a frosting, without cooking them either. It calls for grade A eggs, but is this safe? I'm new to the cake business, and I'd really appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

6 replies
wiggler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wiggler Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 7

I would be very careful ! I would never give anyone icing with raw eggs in it . Think it would be dangerous icon_sad.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:35pm
post #3 of 7

I did some research because I could not offer my key lime pie with undercooked eggs, and one of my favorite frostings containing a raw egg yolk. Here is my finding:

The UDSA states, "In-shell pasteurized eggs may be used safely without cooking."

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 7

Use pasteurized products.

CAC74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAC74 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 3:59am
post #5 of 7

Thanks guys! I've never used raw egg yolks in a recipe, it scares me. But the buttercream recipe I always use calls for egg whites... and there is no cooking involved like I said. I've never had a problem with it, but as I've begun baking for others, it makes me nervous. Does anyone know what the substutions are for egg whites? Like it calls for one egg white, how many table/tea spoons would that be if I bought pasteurized egg whites, or even using meringue powder?

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 4:10am
post #6 of 7

The internet has charts on egg sizes and the weight/volume of both the white and the yolk. The carton probably has a conversion chart too. Look up pasteurized egg white products on the USDA site. I believe I read that in-shell pasteurized eggs are safer. ***Looked it up. Pasteurized egg products are not as safe and still pose a risk to children and the elderly. Stay with pasteurized eggs in the shell.

Michelle46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle46 Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 8:51pm
post #7 of 7

I'm allergic to eggs and I use this as a replacement fficial&client=firefox-a#q=ener+g+egg+replacer&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=671&rls=org.mozilla:en-USicon_surprised.giffficial&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=VcWDTejvHZGtgQfh36zKCA&ved=0CEIQrQQ&biw=1904&bih=726&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=a40f3cd63ecc4954" target="_blank" class="postlink">http://www.google.com/search?q=+ener+g+egg+replacer&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USicon_surprised.giffficial&client=firefox-a#q=ener+g+egg+replacer&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=671&rls=org.mozilla:en-USicon_surprised.giffficial&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&sa=X&ei=VcWDTejvHZGtgQfh36zKCA&ved=0CEIQrQQ&biw=1904&bih=726&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&fp=a40f3cd63ecc4954

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%