My New Best Friend!

Decorating By Davwattie Updated 17 Mar 2011 , 1:07am by superstar

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:19pm
post #1 of 8

My new best friend in cake making is my Kenwood Hand held Electric Carving knife lol

Had a brainwave when getting ready to cut a cake in half to fill it(hate doing it always) and remembered on cake challenge once one of the bakers using an electric knife to carve a massive cake and the other bakers looking on and probably thinking 'why didnt I think of that'

It cut through the cake like a hot knife through butter!!!! and it was level icon_surprised.gif

Im sure loads of you have done it before but it was thought I mention it to those who haven't.

Funny thing is it was a wedding present from almost 16yrs ago and ive only used it once before, it will be seeing the light of day more often. icon_lol.gif

7 replies
crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 8

I don't have an electric knife but this might be the time to get one! Isn't it funny how many things seem so obvious once we FINALLY think of it (or someone like you tells us). Thanks for the tip.

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 8

Great idea! Time to dust off my Electric Carving Knife from my wedding 16 years ago..lol

Ellie1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellie1985 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 8

I still have the electric knife I got when I got married the first time 34 years ago. I only get it out to carve the turkey on Thanksgiving.

Davwattie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Davwattie Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 8

and to think I nearly sent mine to the charity shop before xmas because i never use it icon_eek.gif

I have also used a really sharp vegetable peeler to shave off the slightly hard edges on a cake so I didnt cut big chunks out by mistake, works brilliantly

Its amazing what everyday things suddenly have a new job lol

Rach80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rach80 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 8

Love these! Both great tips! Things that I've never thought of before!!!

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 11:03pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davwattie

...remembered on cake challenge once one of the bakers using an electric knife to carve a massive cake and the other bakers looking on and probably thinking 'why didnt I think of that'

I saw Bronwen Weber using an electric knife to carve her Disney's Ursula cake... maybe that's the same episode you watched. I asked for an electric knife for Christmas that year to use on cakes! (My daughter's use it on their craft projects for cutting through foam!)

superstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
superstar Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 1:07am
post #8 of 8

I really like the way everyone shares ideas. I had forgotten seeing Bronwen using the electric knife & the tip about the peeler is great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%