Meringue Buttercream Poll: Smbc Or Imbc?

Decorating By lrlt2000 Updated 17 Mar 2011 , 3:26am by infinitsky

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:56pm
post #1 of 6

I am new at the meringue butter creams, so I'm wondering which you all prefer (and why, if you want to leave a comment after you vote).

Thanks for sharing!

5 replies
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:11pm
post #2 of 6

They are the same, just a different way to get to the final product. And that's why I would rather make IMBC. I'd rather boil sugar to pour on my eggs than stir eggs and sugar on a double boiler. I did that twice and then made my choice to go for the IMBC. I haven't made any other frosting, though and maybe I should try the others at least once!

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:33pm
post #3 of 6

Ditto. They are the same -- just a different approach. I am in the opposite camp and like dissolving the sugar in the egg whites. No reason, I suppose, except that I learned that method first and it has always worked for me.

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 2:44pm
post #4 of 6

I tried both IMBC and SMBC a few times, and prefer making SMBC since it is easier to make (IMHO)and works everytime. I had a little less control over pouring the boiling syrup in egg whites.
I'd say try both and see which one is easier for you to make.

SucreSucre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SucreSucre Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 6

FRENCH!!!! thumbs_up.gif
I prefer my version of a "French Buttercream" using the whole egg; or the classic "French Mousseline Buttercream", where you make a traditional French Buttercream with all yolks (same method as IMBC) and then fold in Italian Meringue (Not IMBC).
French buttercreams (or any variation of this type of BC that contains yolks) IMO have more of a depth, richness and well rounded flavor than you can get from just the whites.
Now please understand I LOOOOVE them all and can eat them with a spoon for breakfast lunch, dinner and snacks! icon_lol.gif
But I love FBC more icon_biggrin.gif
Now for my die hard European buttercream fans, I do a version of a "French" buttercream that basically uses the whole egg.
For those people who don't care for the whole "buttery" taste I do the French Mousseline BC. Adding a little Italian Meringue (minus the butter) lightens up that buttery taste that some people dislike, but keeps a similar consistency, and mouth feel.
I do IMBC if I need white BC because I use a lot of Italian meringue in my FBC and its easy just to add butter.
I make SMBC if I want to make a Caramel BC by just using brown sugar, because it's easy.
Wow, I guess I'm all over the place now that I think about it! icon_eek.gificon_redface.gif
All in all, I must say my #1 go to is my FBC! icon_biggrin.gif
HTH! icon_lol.gif
Sorry so long!

(editing typos: Gosh I can't spell sometimes icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif)

infinitsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
infinitsky Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 3:26am
post #6 of 6

Do you mind sharing your recipes for Traditional FBC and Mousseline FB?

Thanks in advance... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%