Anyone Getting More "entitled" Clients Lately?

Business By costumeczar Updated 9 Apr 2011 , 8:01am by anna_bananna

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 6:10am
post #121 of 124

[/quote]"Dear Mass Marketing Bride,

Thank you for your recent inquiry, but if you are looking for a cake decorator who finds three tiered cakes challenging, we are definitely not for you! Tiered cakes are NOT challenging to those who know what they are doing. Good luck to you!" icon_twisted.gif[/quote]

icon_twisted.gif hahahahh icon_twisted.gif oh love it

ncsmorris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncsmorris Posted 8 Apr 2011 , 1:50pm
post #122 of 124

I don't mind when potential clients e-mail rather than call. Maybe it's because I'm the 25 year old you talk about, but I actually prefer e-mail (at least until we start getting into specifics that cause 100 e-mails) because, since caking isn't my day job, I can't always answer the phone. With an e-mail, I can read what they want, prepare the quote, and send it back when it's convenient. If I e-mail them back at 11pm, they can e-mail me back the next morning (I certainly wouldn't call at 11pm!). For my business, it just works out.

I also don't mind someone e-mailing for a quote or coming to a tasting in order to decide if they want to book with me. When I purchased my car, I went to several places, drove the car, asked about price, etc. and chose one based on such. When I want new clothes, I visit several stores, try them on, look at the price tag, and return to the store with the best value (not necessarily best price!) to purchase. I look at the cakes the same way. Maybe they compare quotes, ability, taste of the cake, etc. before they choose. Maybe they are ok paying more because mine tastes better or maybe they go somewhere else and pay less because the cake tastes good enough. Or perhaps they don't like my cake at all, that's ok.

I definitely agree about cluelessness...."Can you do a sculpted 3-d Thomas the Tank Engine cake for $30? I need it this weekend! And delivery to a place 3 hours away"...my answer "uh, no sorry. That cake would cost $100, plus delivery of 50 cents a mile and I need at least 2 weeks notice. Not to mention that I cannot do Thomas the Tank Engine because he is copyrighted"

anna_bananna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anna_bananna Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 7:34am
post #123 of 124

i hate clients who email me to make a cake design a for them for a specific event.... for free!!! They want to see first if it fits their preference.

some even ask for free samples of ALL the available flavors before they decide if they will order or not.... without even asking for a quotation. icon_sad.gif

anna_bananna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anna_bananna Posted 9 Apr 2011 , 8:01am
post #124 of 124

When I was just starting out, I used to give a couple of free cupcakes to my clients with their orders. Only a handful of them said thank you. Now that I stopped giving extra cupcakes, they have the nerve to text me "where are my freebies?". icon_sad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%