Cake Dummies

Decorating By Karadactyl Updated 16 Mar 2011 , 12:01pm by robinmarie

Karadactyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karadactyl Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:45am
post #1 of 4

How far in advance can you decorate them?

I'm entering a cake competition at the end of April! I got my cake dummies in the mail yesterday (5 tiers, 14, 12, 10, 8, 6) and have the design for my cake all worked out. It'll be using 4 out of 5 tiers, everything but the 14 inch. I've started to make the details and decorations out of fondant already and have been storing them in some Gladware. My question is how long before the competition can I put the cake together? I have two small kids and a husband with a wonky schedule so I was hoping to start really working on it soon. Any suggestions with a timeline? Thanks in advance!

3 replies
Lyndseyb52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lyndseyb52 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 10:37am
post #2 of 4

Hiya

If you keep them in a box and away from dust and sunlight, you'll be amazed how long they last. This week I got out a 3 tier dummy cake I iced last August and it was as good as new. It was white so I'm not sure if bright colours would have faded, maybe you could get them iced and put decorations on nearer the time.

Also the icing was SO hard, that would make it easy for you transporting, I struggled to push in a wired flower so bear that in mind for your designs.

Good luck with the show, hope that helped!

Lyndsey xx

Karadactyl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karadactyl Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 11:04am
post #3 of 4

Thanks so much! I'm hopefully gonna start this weekend then!

robinmarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinmarie Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:01pm
post #4 of 4

I was wondering the same thing. I am entering a contest in late April too, and got all my supplies mailed to me yesterday. I am so ready to decorate, just didnt know if I should start now.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%