Provide Small Wedding Cake And Bride Also Wants Costco Cakes

Decorating By DianneandBrad Updated 18 Mar 2011 , 1:25am by FromScratchSF

DianneandBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianneandBrad Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 11:18pm
post #1 of 14

Have you every been asked to provide a small wedding cake for the bridal party (and to have on display) but then the bride wants the rest of the party to be served cakes from Costco to keep her costs down? One bakery has turned her down.

13 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 11:21pm
post #2 of 14

I would say no, too. I wouldn't want the guests to think that I made the Costco cake.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 11:22pm
post #3 of 14

Many bakers (myself included) have an all or nothing clause in their contracts. I do not allow cakes from other places. I don't want my cake associated with or confused with someone's elses.

If a bride wants to save money they can either order their sheet cakes from me. Otherwise they can their entire order from somewhere else.

DianneandBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianneandBrad Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks for your quick responses! I'm going to add that clause in my contract - thanks Cathy! I thought I had thought of everythingicon_sad.gif

Cake_Karen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Karen Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 14

I would also say no to this.

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 11:51pm
post #6 of 14

I have this same type of request. They are asking for a fake cake. 4 tiered fondant styrofoam cake and they are buying costco cakes because "the groom won't eat any other type of cake". They are willing to pay a pretty good price for a fake cake and I've also talked them into letting me keep the cake when it's done for a display cake.
I also don't do sheet cakes though and I let everyone know that. I do cakes just as a very small side job. BUT if I did do cakes full time then I would do sheet cakes (for the money) and wouldn't do this particular job.

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:09am
post #7 of 14

I won't do it. This is called "the all or nothing" clause!

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:23am
post #8 of 14

I just had a bride ask me for something like this. Wanted a pretty 3-tier cake for cutting and then the rest of the servings she wanted to get sheet cakes. I told her about the all or nothing rule, expecting to lose the order because she seemed very budget driven. But she said she understood the policy, and ordered kitchen cakes from me instead of the sheet cakes from a grocery store.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 7:45am
post #9 of 14

This seems to be all the rage with the wedding bloggers and mags these days. "Pay for a consultant, but serve a Costco cake!"

Big NO here. It's in my contract they can't have any baked confections not ordered from me as part of their reception unless it's made by the venue and part of their meal package (which a lot of the hotels here do). I just told one of my brides under contract that No, MIL cannot make cupcakes as favors to send home with the guests. If they want cupcake favors they have to pay me to make them.

Mini Rant At No One In Particular: As for having me, a custom baker, make a fake cake and them get Costco cakes? Big no from me here too. This is a horrible trend that needs to stop. It's selling the rest of us short and giving the public yet one more thing to undervalue and question our worth for. If you run a fake cake rental, that's one thing, but if you are a custom baker, you value your product and respect others in your industry... bake cake and turn these absurd requests down.

Whew! Thanks for letting me get that out, I've been hit at the last 4 consultations to see if I'll make a fake cake with sheet cakes, or make the fake cake and let them get cakes from somewhere else "cheaper". I'm like, what part of "scratch organic baker" says "fake cake maker and sure, go get cake from somewhere else"? LOL

Jen

LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 12:14am
post #10 of 14

I have made fake cakes for bridal shows. They are not easier to decorate. So, minus the baking, they are not cheaper.

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 12:40am
post #11 of 14

Big no on this one! I wouldn't mind making kitchen cakes to serve along with a smaller tiered cake, but I'm sure not sharing the limelight with an inferior baker(y).

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 12:51am
post #12 of 14

Let me be clear.

::Oh, snap.:: Hells to the no.

sweetmonkeycheese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetmonkeycheese Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 7:40pm
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by FromScratchSF

I just told one of my brides under contract that No, MIL cannot make cupcakes as favors to send home with the guests. If they want cupcake favors they have to pay me to make them.

Jen

Ohh, as a customer and not a baker, that would not go over well w/ me. I totally understand the issue of the wedding cake, but If i want to make my friends and family a personal favor as a Thank You for the love and support in attendance of my wedding... There is no way I would take a "No You Can't"

But i hand made several things for my wedding (not food wise) and I took my joy and pride that many of the things of my wedding were so personal and not just picked out and bought.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 18 Mar 2011 , 1:25am
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetmonkeycheese

Ohh, as a customer and not a baker, that would not go over well w/ me. I totally understand the issue of the wedding cake, but If i want to make my friends and family a personal favor as a Thank You for the love and support in attendance of my wedding... There is no way I would take a "No You Can't"

But i hand made several things for my wedding (not food wise) and I took my joy and pride that many of the things of my wedding were so personal and not just picked out and bought.

True story, I had a party 2 years ago, I made my awesome cupcakes. One of my guests also brought cupcakes from the "it" baker in their neighborhood because they wanted to try them. Those cupcakes were foul. A sorry disgusting excuse for cake. Despite making it clear as people were literally spitting them out, that I DID NOT MAKE THEM, I will forever be associated with that cake. They remember that they had a bad flavor of cake at my house + I make cake = I must have made that BAD cake. I get quips here and there along the lines of "well, I hope these are better then those cupcakes you made that one time, remember those?" These are my friends and personally know me. icon_mad.gif

So although I see your side, the all-or-nothing clause is there to protect my reputation as a scratch custom baker. How do I know what kind of cake she is going to make? Chances are she's going to lovingly pop open a box of Betty Crocker. What if she adds in some nasty ingredient? Over/under bakes them? What if they are "dry"? I am not taking that risk.

They have the option of making the boxes, packaging, labels whatever. But they read and signed my contract and have the option to cancel retaining me as their custom baker if they choose so.

Anyway, I think the clause is pretty standard for custom bakers.

Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%