Fire Truck Cake, Anyone Made One? What Pans Did You Use?

Decorating By MamaD77 Updated 16 Mar 2011 , 1:33pm by MamaD77

MamaD77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaD77 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 10:07pm
post #1 of 6

Hi fellow Ccers! I am about to embark on making a fire truck cake for a friend's little boy turning 5. I have not made a vehicle like this before, I've only made a tank using 8" square cakes.
My question is, if anyone has made a fire truck, what did you use? Sheet cakes cut lengthways and stacked, or a particular square pan size? I don't want to have to trim a whole load of cake away and waste it!

Any little pointers would be really helpful! I don't need a lot of detail, I can figure out most of the decorating myself, I just need a wee nudge in the right direction regarding pans to use!

Thanks in advance thumbs_up.gif
Mama D

5 replies
Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 10:25pm
post #2 of 6

I made one, (in my pics) I didn't have any waste. I baked in a 1/2 sheet pan (2) and had 3 - 2" layers. It was really easy, but I did try to have more detail. I made the ladders out of gumpaste. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

MamaD77 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 11:09pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks Karen, i just looked at the pictures, and they're very helpful indeed! It's a really nice, well finished cake!

Thank you for taking the time to help! thumbs_up.gif

MamaD

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 12:45am
post #4 of 6

I used a 11x15 pan and also made decorations in advance out of royal icing.

cakesnglass Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnglass Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:18am
post #5 of 6

Sheet pan here too. Slightly frozen easier to cut. I did use posterboard patterns for bottom and sides, really helped to keep it square. Good luck!

MamaD77 Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you folks for the reply's. I didn't get notifications that they'd come in.
That's a great help, gives me plenty to go on! Thank you for good luck wishes, I may be needing them! lol
icon_lol.gif
I'll be posting pictures after March 26th. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks agin,
MamaD

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%