How Difficult Is This?

Decorating By beckandsimon Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 10:12pm by LisaPeps

beckandsimon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckandsimon Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 2

Hi all
I've not posted on this forum before, so hi!

Just wanting advice from you bakers out there. A very good friend is making a cake for my daughter's birthday party - she's having a pirates and princesses theme. I am a bit useless with all things culinary and wondered if anyone could say how difficult the cake below would be to make and transport (about an hour). Honest opinions, much appreciated as I don't wanna ask the impossible and put my friend under undue stress! She doesn't do it as a job but makes cakes for friends' and family birthdays.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bcakeny/3504688597/in/faves-cupcakesbydesign/ (in case the link takes you to a page of cakes rather than just one, it's far left on the third row Pirate Princess Castle Cake!)

Many thanks

Rebecca

1 reply
LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 10:12pm
post #2 of 2

In my opinion it wouldn't be too difficult but that's how I feel. No-one can give you a right or wrong answer as it depends on your friends skill set.

Have you discussed it with her? Perhaps you could get multiple pictures of cakes varying in difficulty and ask her which she would feel comfortable doing. Or you could say to her I want a pirate/princess theme involving a castle and ship feel free to come up with the design.

For me (you don't say how much you are paying her if you are) when I do free cakes for friends I like to be able to come up with the design myself. This might sound weird but I feel it's my right to do what cake I want if they are not paying for it.

For a two-tier transportation, there won't be many issues so long as she does the structure right.. again not sure how much she knows as we don't know her skill level.. Not slip mats are an absolute must when driving with a cake in the trunk...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%