Do You Cut Off The Top, Bottom And Sides Of Your Cakes?

Decorating By Jody130 Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 3:47pm by Marianna46

Jody130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jody130 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 7

Just checking with all of you to see, I've seen on several of the cake shows where they cut off all the sides, tops and bottoms of the cakes, they say you should only have soft cake and frosting in your layers, does everyone do this??? especially on wedding cakes??? icon_eek.gif

6 replies
Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 7

Hmmmm....I only cut off the tops...never thought of the sides or bottoms. detective.gif

Mfattore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mfattore Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:12pm
post #3 of 7

I only trim when the sides are not perfectly even, not to remove crust. I used to just even out with frosting but I tried trimming and it really does improve the final result with greater ease. I work for a very fancy wedding venue, not caking, and lots of our $$$$wedding cakes are not trimmed the way you describe. Sounds like overkill to me unless it has a utilitarian purpose like evening up everything.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 7

No way, unless it is absolutely nescessary and the cake otherwise really uneven.. There is no need to trim the sides, unless the design calls for it, the bottom (which I always use as the top, because that is always perfectly flat) is usually perfect anyway, so why cut it?

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 7

No way to much work. I trim the top to make it flat but never the sides unless for some weird reason they are wonky.

Kellbella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellbella Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:44pm
post #6 of 7

Well, come to think of it...I do trim any bulges on the sides once the cake has settled, does that count?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 7

Like most people, I think, I only trim what has to be trimmed to give the cake sharp edges and even sides. In fact, on my next cake, I'm going to try weighting the whole layer down, as has been suggested in other threads here, so I don't even have to cut off the dome. I guess I'll just have to start baking for my cake balls separately!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%