Top Tier Of A Wedding Cake

Decorating By fortheloveofcake1984 Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 5:35pm by fortheloveofcake1984

fortheloveofcake1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fortheloveofcake1984 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 12:17am
post #1 of 11

I am making my own wedding cake ( with the help of my father)
and I think it would be extra nice to save the top tier of my wedding cake for my first anniversary.
Now my question is would the top tier need to be a fruit cake (which I HATE) or is there any other acceptable cake that would be fine to freeze for a year??

10 replies
pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 12:39am
post #2 of 11

Why not just bake at your 1 year? I offer this to my customers as I don't want a cake that has been in the freezer for a year. Blech!

genevieveyum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
genevieveyum Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 12:48am
post #3 of 11

We just defrosted a slab of my husband's birthday cake from August '10. It had been an enormous cooler of beer cake and we didn't need nearly that many servings. It was a little dry, but it had only been wrapped in foil- I was really impressed! It was the chocolate cake from The Cake Bible with ganache filling and smbc. Had I done a better job wrapping it, I think it would have been fantastic!

AmysCakesNCandies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmysCakesNCandies Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 12:55am
post #4 of 11

Fruit Cake? Yuck... Is that a tradition in the UK, to make the top out of fruitcake?
I typically make the top out of the same cake as the rest of the cake.
This is what I suggest to all my brides who want to save thier topper- proper freezing is key, although it will never be as good as it was on your wedding day.
You will have the best chance at having an edible cake a year from now do the following-
1. If it is buttercream- put in the freezer for a few hours to harden (if its fondant you can skip this step)
2. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap & then foil.
3. place the wrapped cake in the bakery box & wrap in foil or freezer paper
4. keep in a deep freeze or in the back of your freezer so it is less likely to be exposed to fluctuations in temperature.
5. When thawing you MUST remove the foil & saran wrap before thawing or your icing will stick to it.

cakemamaof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemamaof3 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 12:56am
post #5 of 11

Ditto to pinkpiggie78. I haven't done a wedding cake myself but my wilton cake instructor told us not to eat a cake after 3 months in the freezer, yuck. She says for her customers she offers to make them a replica at one year of the top tier, just save a pic of the cake. And that was my idea exactly.

jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 1:21am
post #6 of 11

I have always heard that as long as you wrap it really well and not on the cardboard round that any cake should be fine.

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 2:58am
post #7 of 11

regardless of your opinions on freezing...it's your cake, why would you put fruit cake in it if you don't like it?

it's YOUR cake!

fortheloveofcake1984 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 10:02am
post #8 of 11

Thats why i am asking if it would be ok to freeze another type of cake
as I hate fruit cake and would NOT conscider using it.
I know I could easily re-bake at a year and re-emulate the top tier of the wedding cake or even the whole thing if I decide to go down the "anniversary party" route.
but the point of it is it that its a romantical whim and I thought it would be extra nice to be the top tier of the actual wedding cake.

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 12:19pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fortheloveofcake1984

but the point of it is it that its a romantical whim and I thought it would be extra nice to be the top tier of the actual wedding cake.

Exactly why I saved my first tier and ate it one year later!

It was a buttercream cake with a gumpaste bow on a plastic separator plate. I wrapped the entire thing (silly me didn't know anything about cake then and could have removed the bow) in plastic wrap, then foil, then sealed it all in a tupperware container that I wrapped with foil.

When I defrosted it, I completely unwrapped it and placed it back into the tupperware and had it defrost in the fridge.

We let it come to room temp and it was really tasty! There were a few streaks here and there in the cake that were more dense and my guess is moisture/ice crystals forming there.

Of course the fondant on it was limp as a noodle, but we weren't going to eat that anyway!

The cake was chocolate hazelnut pound cake.

cowie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cowie Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:36pm
post #10 of 11

We froze the top tier of our wedding cake for one year. It was a typically birthday cake type of cake and it tasted almost as good a year later, seriously. The cake was covered in buttercream, no fondant and what I did was put the cake in a cardboard box (cake type one) and tape and taped up all of the box seems. To try to seal in the cake. Worked great!

fortheloveofcake1984 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 5:35pm
post #11 of 11

Thanks guys think im gonna give it a shot icon_biggrin.gif nothing ventured and all that

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%