Where To Start?? White Choc Seashells

Sugar Work By Shelley51708 Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 3:34pm by Shelley51708

Shelley51708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelley51708 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 8

I have a friend that wants me to do her wedding cake and she picked a cake with seashells and starfish. The picture she has she got from some site (that I can't see it up close without joining the wedding site.) but the description says the seashells and starfish are made from white chocolate... where do I go to learn to do this? The wedding is not until Sept so I have time to learn icon_smile.gif

7 replies
gigiofknb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gigiofknb Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 2:41am
post #2 of 8

Shelley I made shells and starfish for a flip flop cake I made for my grand daughter. I found the mold at Hobby Lobby and then ordered another one from Country Kitchen Sweetart. I found it came out wonderful when I swirled the choclate slightly and poured it in. I also just squeezed some randomly in the mold and then filled with the white chocolate. Easy to do and looks great when you get it done. Good luck.

Reganlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reganlynn Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 2:57am
post #3 of 8

I did a cake with seashells and starfish and I made them out of white chocolate. I just bought the molds and then poured the melted chocolate into the molds and then brushed with shimmer dust when they dried. I think I got the molds from global sugar art.

cvoges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvoges Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:01am
post #4 of 8

Oh, Shelley! Just a couple of weeks ago, I did the same thing for my niece's wedding cake. I picked up the chocolate molds at my local cake supply store. Just as Gigiofknb described, it's easy to do. When I finished molding the chocolate pieces, I sprayed them with Pearl Edible Luster Spray to give them a little shimmer. Good luck with your project. HTH

quietude Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quietude Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:02am
post #5 of 8

I just bought a mold from Michael's and used it. Swirling two colors is easy and turns out very pretty. It's also nice to dust them with some luster dust or pearl spray. For my sister's wedding, we also used the mold and swirled her colors of coral and cream and placed crushed almonds on the back before the chocolate fully set. These made for very pretty and tasty favors. HTH!

Kim

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:08am
post #6 of 8

I've used the seashell mold from Michael's as well. I've swirled white chocolate w/various colors of candy melts. I've swirled white & dark chocolate together. I've swirled the peanut butter melts w/chocolate melts.

That mold is super easy and has been used countless times.

Kristy

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 11:00am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reganlynn

I did a cake with seashells and starfish and I made them out of white chocolate. I just bought the molds and then poured the melted chocolate into the molds and then brushed with shimmer dust when they dried. I think I got the molds from .

That's what I did, too. You don't need much shimmer dust, and don't be afraid to use two different colors for a great look! I used some gold to get into the indents then used a pearl to shine 'em up!

Shelley51708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelley51708 Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 8

Awesome!!! You guys make it sound so easy! For someone who's never made and candy, I think I can do this! I'll be practicing and show you how it turns out, THANKS SO MUCH!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%