Are You A Ganache Expert?

Baking By DianaC31 Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 9:58pm by cheatize

DianaC31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaC31 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:52pm
post #1 of 4

I am doing a cake for a relative this weekend and I want to use ganache in place of buttercream under the fondant. If you are an expert on this subject please give your advice!

- What exact recipe do you use for ganache
- Do I pour it or chill it then spread?
- How long do I let it set up before covering with fondant?

Any other things you can think of to mention would be more than helpful! Want this to be a complete success the first time rather than my usual trial and error system icon_lol.gif

Thanks!!

3 replies
cab333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cab333 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 4

My ganache recipe is typically a 2:1 ratio (2 cups chocolate chips, one part heavy 35% cream).
I mix my cream and chocolate until a smooth consistency, and then allow the mixture to sit (typically it takes a minimum of a couple of hours) and once it is the consistency of peanut butter (?? i think that is the best way to describe it) I apply it to the cake. I have tried the pouring method, and just felt like I was wasting an awful lot of an otherwise expensive recipe!!

Once I have smoothed it over my cake, and I am happy with the edges I put it in the refrigerator to set. I often put two or three coats of ganache on (so fudgey!!) and then as soon as the ganache is set to the touch I apply my fondant.

I don't consider myself an expert...so anyone else with different methods, please share! I'll be watching this topic to see if I am doing this a-ok!

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 4

You use a ratio of 2 parts chocolate to 1 part cream for dark chocolate and 3:1 with milk and White chocolate. The ratio is for weight not volume... So for example 400g choc to 200ml cream. I believe in the US it is heavy whipping cream??

You make your ganache the night before, cover it with cling film pressed flush to the ganache. When you use it it should be the consistency of peanut butter.

I usually ganache my cakes while they are partially frozen so it sets quicker. Though this is not necessary, you could chill it in the fridge for 10-20 mins to solidify it. Then I "hot-knife" it... Heat up my metal dough scraper over a flame and scrape the ganache smooth.

I explained my method on this thread
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7075792-.html#7075792

This might be useful to you too.

Hth

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopicp-7072816-.html#7072816

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 9:58pm
post #4 of 4

If you think you can't hot knife it and make it pretty- think again! I can't hot knife buttercream for nothing but I can with ganache!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%