How Do You Stack Your Fondant Tiers... Without Breakage

Decorating By underthesun Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 7:03pm by cathyscakes

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 12:23am
post #1 of 11

I need to know how you handle your fondant tiers as you stack them? The last two cakes I have done, were very simple designs, so I don't like to pick them up with my hands or I might leave small indentions. I have tried large spatulas and straight edge scrapers, but it just seems as I load the tier onto the bottom tier, the tool always catches the side and breaks the bottom. This is definitely a problem with very simple cakes.

This cake was especially difficult since the 10" was 3 layers. It weighed a ton and yes, I was expecting the breakage, so I was trying sooo hard to be careful. But, it happened. The tool caught the bottom and... breakage. So lucky I knew the florist and asked her to please save me. This cake was displayed in the entry way, between 4 pillars in a 13,000 square foot house and under a giant crystal chandelier. NERVE RACKING! Thank goodness for live florist!

Can I get advice how you handle your fondant cakes when stacking??
http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1971437[/url]

10 replies
underthesun Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 5:15pm
post #2 of 11

Thought I'd give myself a bump. Need to know how to stack fondant tiers without breaking the bottom edge of fondant. Anyone have a method of stacking they might share?

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 11

Perhaps this thread will help. It's probably more geared towards buttercream cakes, but still applies to fondant too.

Any tips for stacking? Fingers/spatula in the way:
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-710889-stacking.html

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 11

Duplicate post.

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:10pm
post #5 of 11

BTW- I just had to interject and tell you how AMAZING that cake is!! icon_biggrin.gif I put it in my favs! thumbs_up.gif

Looks to me like you did ok with the stacking. It always is a bit nervewracking when doing such a large cake -and in a venue like that! I'm no help with your question-sorry. I always seem to manage a fingerprint or two. tapedshut.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:15pm
post #6 of 11

Wow, what kind of fondant are you using that it BREAKS? I use FondX and it only bends...so I can smooth it right back down. Fondant that is so stiff or hard that it breaks doesn't sound very palatable.

adamsgama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adamsgama Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:40pm
post #7 of 11

Beautiful job on the Cake. Are you using a large off-set spatula, or a straight one. I find the offset the best. Keep the bent part away from the edge of the cake when you 'drop' it onto the tier below. You could also try Wilton's cake lifter for more added support for lifting such a large tier.

Adamsgama

Mfattore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mfattore Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:48pm
post #8 of 11

That cake is beautiful. I use the hover and drop method with both fondant and buttercream tiers. I walk my fingers out to the edges, hover within a half-inch or so, say a prayer, and quickly remove my fingers and drop. Have not had a catastrophe yet but I am only a hobbyist and you are in a different league then me. Good luck, hope someone more experienced can shed some light for you.

underthesun Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:55pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks for the compliments and ideas. I use an offset oversized spatula. This particular cake was stenciled, so the fondant was put on Thurs and stenciling done Friday for Saturday wedding. I'm using Satin Ice and don't think Fondx is available at the store I am using. I might have to take a look. Will it make a difference, if it's been on for two days. It's the edges, around the bottom, that get brittle and of course, as much as I try, it's a 50/50 chance that they will break.

Luckily, it was saved by the florist and the mother of the bride liked the addition of flowers, last minute.

Jokerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jokerz Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:58pm
post #10 of 11

I put my tiers in the fridge before stacking. Since I use SMBC the cake gets pretty solid and I have a little time to work with them before they get soft. Being such a tall cake, did you have to stack it on site? If so, I guess this isn't an option for you.

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 7:03pm
post #11 of 11

Why don't you leave your dowels sticking up a bit, and let the weight of the cake push them the rest of the way down, maybe that would prevent breakage.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%