I Totally Dropped The Ball And Missed A Order

Decorating By Brendabeeper Updated 17 Mar 2011 , 8:17pm by ajwonka

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 8

I was so anxious about next week having a bake sale to bake for and two cakes for next week. Then I get a call this morning asking what time to pick up the cake. I about freaked out! no way I have it on my file for next week. He tells me that he change the date several weeks ago to this week, I so do not recall. He had previously delivered toy wreslers to put on the cake . There was no way I could throw the cake together. So I agreed to meet him at a grocery store where I could hand him back the toys, and he can try to get some sort of cake. He was very cool about it but I am so crushed I goofed this up, *actually had I recalled or marked he moved it to this week I would not have been so freaked out about next week. . So sad I mess up the order for this bday. I offered to still do it for him for another day because he wanted that cake, or I offered to make another cake free for him . He graciously told me not to worry that the grocery store was going to do a cake like the one he ordered form me. I know it wont be what aI could have done. but I hope they did a good one for his son. & hope he give me a chance to re-earn his faith

7 replies
simplysouthern Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplysouthern Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 8

Ouch, sorry that happened icon_sad.gif I am so anal about orders my staff makes fun of me! I literally spend an hour or more daily going over and over all orders, inquiries, etc!

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 11:22am
post #3 of 8

Oh you poor thing.. Fortunately for you he was nice about it. I would have gone all numb and just lost it emotionally.. but hey, lesson learnt.. it could happen to any one of us cakers and probably will at some point in time. Don't beat yourself up about it too much though.. just learn from it and move on. My bet is you've beaten yourself up enough already emotionally, that it won't be possible to let it happen again icon_wink.gif

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:34pm
post #4 of 8

Send him a gift certificate for the amount of the cake. Even though he was gracious, the story will end, "she forgot the cake". You want the story to end, "she forgot the cake, but she gave me a GC for another cake for the same value". Do not underestimate the power of word-of-mouth, especially with social networking.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:55pm
post #5 of 8

Did he actually contact you with the date change?

sugardugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugardugar Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 2:11pm
post #6 of 8

Give him an "IOU"/gift certif for the amount of the cake to be used anytime within the next 6 months (or whatever) IMO. Depending on your own availability of course.

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 8

thank you everyone, I am just a home baker , and I usually am a lot more on top of it then this. He told me he told me he told me he changed the date, I do not recall that , but I Have them fill out a form with the child's name , flavor of cake, and age, cell phone # so to make sure when I ama baking at midnight I dont mess up. I write all my cake orders on a date book in my purse. I had the 19th written down in the date book but the form he complete had the 12th. He said when he gave it to me he chgd the date. The 12th I had wide open and I could have done it. but I made the mistake of putting the form in my date book and didnt review it since I thought we were a couple of weeks out yet and and the 19th down. I do customer service at my first job, and believe I had a call that I answered when he was over, That may have thrown me off. Lesson well learnt. I will give him a fit card for a free cake. thank you ....

ajwonka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajwonka Posted 17 Mar 2011 , 8:17pm
post #8 of 8

It could happen to any of us! I agree with the gift card, though! Wow him with going above and beyond!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%