Nedd Help With Ironworker Cake

Decorating By jenn21 Updated 4 May 2011 , 7:26pm by SweetDreams98

jenn21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenn21 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 6:50pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a cake for a guy graduating from ironworking course and his wife wants a tall square coloumn cake with the illusion of metal beams. I dont want to just put strips of fondant on the sides. I want something more challenging with more wow factor. i need to put little men on the beams too. Any suggestions?

6 replies
cownsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cownsj Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 7

Do you have a way to make solid chocolate beams? You could build a framework around the cake. And if you wanted to go old school, you could put an hammer and anvil on top. (And if you can make figures, have the worker using the hammer on the anvil; arm raised over his head with the hammer in his hand)

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 16 Mar 2011 , 4:30am
post #3 of 7

I think of the hot fire when I think I ironworking. You could have the metal going into the fire. Use those little colored LED lights for the fire and you'll get the WOW factor.

jenn21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenn21 Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 4:20pm
post #4 of 7

I dont know chocolate that well but was thinking of using gumpaste and airbrushing them kind of a rusty color and putting them up the sides of the ckae kind of like scaffolding. Do you think this will work if i let them harden really well?

chrisviz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisviz Posted 5 Apr 2011 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 7

My husband, father and brother are/were all Ironworkers in CA...cant wait to see what you do....

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 7 Apr 2011 , 4:08am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn21

I dont know chocolate that well but was thinking of using gumpaste and airbrushing them kind of a rusty color and putting them up the sides of the ckae kind of like scaffolding. Do you think this will work if i let them harden really well?

Yes, I think you could use gumpaste for that but from what I've heard about pastillage, that would be an even better choice.

SweetDreams98 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDreams98 Posted 4 May 2011 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 7

Ok,
I come from a long line of Ironworkers...I beams are definitely the way to go. I also know they won't go anywhere without their hardhat (typically covered in stickers), heavy duty tool belt, spud wrench, steel toed boots (usually Red Wings), and remember they can't be up in the air without being tied off (wearing a harness in case of a fall...my dad has a shattered back thanks to a 40 ft fall and a 10 ft fall of a JLG lift). A lot of Ironworkers also do work with rebar. You MAY want to find out what local union they graduated out of because they typically are extremely proud to represent their local. Hope this helps, however the cake may already be made icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%