Blended Shortening In Buttercream????

Baking By Ambers_Sweet_Treats Updated 15 Mar 2011 , 3:03pm by Baker_Rose

Ambers_Sweet_Treats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ambers_Sweet_Treats Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 10

HELP!!!

I have always used vegtable shortening in my buttercream and EVERYONES LOVES IT! always raves about it.

the problem....

the only shortening available at my wholesaler is a 44Lbs blended shortening. I have a huge cake and hundreds of cupcakes that I need to make the icing for and am worried that it wont come out the same.

has anyone else every used ot tasted what it ends up like???

I only have two weeks until event!

9 replies
caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 10

I wouldn't use it...I use all butter for my cupcakes...I live in the cayman islands and no prob with melting. If you can't get the right shortening maybe you can just use butter (at least for the cupcakes?).

Ambers_Sweet_Treats Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:52am
post #3 of 10

i make a 50/50 mix my question is about the blended shortening, I have never heard of it before & it is the only one I can find in bulk. I am just covering the cake in bc and the cupcakes too. I am putting buddy's fudge for filling and covering the cakes in fondant

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:06am
post #4 of 10

Since you haven't used that kind before ask if they sale a "sample" size. The place here sales a sample size for $10 Then you can see how it turns out.

Also, what type of shortening do you normally use if I may ask

Ambers_Sweet_Treats Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:22am
post #5 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by platinumlady

Since you haven't used that kind before ask if they sale a "sample" size. The place here sales a sample size for $10 Then you can see how it turns out.

Also, what type of shortening do you normally use if I may ask

I normally use vegetable shortening and there is no sample size it is the crisco pk or tin and then this 44 Lbs box of sunspun blened shortening

I wish there was a sample size icon_cry.gif

platinumlady Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:29am
post #6 of 10

Do you have like a Sam's or Costco around where you live...You can get a larger can of Crisco since you already know how that works. It's really too close to the venue to try a new product especially if you don't know how it would turn out

CupQuequito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupQuequito Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:33am
post #7 of 10

Main question here is- what is it blended with. What makes it different?

platinumlady Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:59am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupQuequitos_By_Shanali

This page explains it
http://www.ehow.com/list_7351140_types-vegetable-shortening.html

Ambers_Sweet_Treats Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CupQuequitos_By_Shanali

i already looked that up, blended means any type of oils blended together and is apparently the most common type of shortening

my main question is has anyone used it and does it affect the taste? or is just just like using vegetable shortening

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 15 Mar 2011 , 3:03pm
post #10 of 10

I would check the oils used in the "blended shortening" if they are vegetable oils then you shouldn't have any problems. However there is also shortening on the market that is lard/vegetable blend. People still use it for oil frying on the stove. I have also used it in all-purpose soap making. BUT I would not use it for my buttercream. There is a slight "essence of last nights Pork dinner" to lard that will probably come through the finished product.

icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%