Icing For "irish Car Bomb" Cake For Tomorrow...

Decorating By julesh268 Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 6:21pm by julesh268

julesh268 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julesh268 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 17

I printed up a list of cakes some time ago and want to try the Irish Car Bomb Cake with Irish Cream Filling. I am just not sure what to ice the cake with...chocolate?

Here is the recipe if it helps....
2 boxes Chocolate cake mix
2 c flour
2 c sugar
1 1/2 tsp salt
8 eggs
2 2/3 C Guinness beer
4T oil
2 C sour cream
3 t vanilla

Irish cream filling

1 package instant vanilla pudding
3/4 c milk
2/4 cup heavy whipping cream
3 T Bailey's Irish Cream

And....do you think I need to keep this in the fridge?

It also is a huge cake so I will probably cut it in half as it is for a dinner party of 4.

THANKS!

16 replies
Buttercream_warrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Buttercream_warrior Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 5:09pm
post #2 of 17

this sounds sooo good..ive actually made a buttercream with irish creme coffee creamer in place of the heavy whipping cream..it came out soooo good..just an idea..i would definatly keep this refrigerated cus of the filling..just my opinion

vickymacd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vickymacd Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 17

I'm no expert, but you have a lot of flavors going on with that already. I would keep it very simple or add a bit of the irish cream to the frosting. I think either a chocolate or vanilla would work although I would tint the vanilla green or keep it a dark chocolate.
Can't wait to hear others suggestions.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 17

Irish Car Bomb cupcakes usually incorporate Jameson too. My recipe is a Guiness Stout cake, ganache with Jameson as a filling, Bailey's buttercream. These will compliment each other and don't really introduce a new flavor.

julesh268 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 6:02pm
post #5 of 17

Thanks. I agree that simple is probably better. A scoop of vanilla ice cream would also be good. I will either go with a simple bc or chocolate bc. I might wait until it is out of the oven and try it before I decide. I will let you know what I end up with.

vickymacd Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 8:48pm
post #6 of 17

Oh, not just a choc. BC, I'm talking about ganache!

julesh268 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 3:14am
post #7 of 17

OK, I made the cake which actually is the WASC recipe using chocolate cake and Guinness. I modified it to the Original WASC as I have never had luck with WASC. It has a great flavor and after taste. A very deep flavored cake if that makes sense. I made the filling and tried it with the cake and decided a lighter flavored icing would be best....but only because we are having a heavy dinner. I think it would be fantastic with a chocolate icing. I am going to put the cake together a few hours before the dinner party because I don't want to fridge the cake.

Oh...and next time I try it I will make the filling with white chocolate pudding rather than vanilla.

Thanks for the input!

vickymacd Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 12:15pm
post #8 of 17

Please post pic when you are done and how it tastes.

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:10pm
post #9 of 17

Sounds good..cant wait to try it...I just wish it had a different name....sets uneasy with me....a 911 cake recipe...no probably not...

vickymacd Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:47pm
post #10 of 17

It's terrible how sensitive we all seem to be, given the worlds situations.
But since the drink goes down with a blast, it's only fitting that the cake would too! Ha, ha. Or maybe apologies to the Irish!

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 7:51pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

It's terrible how sensitive we all seem to be, given the worlds situations.
But since the drink goes down with a blast, it's only fitting that the cake would too! Ha, ha. Or maybe apologies to the Irish!

I think that the world is more INsensitive...but whatever, it was just my opinion....going by what is at the end of your comment, i see that you are a mother of a soldier...I too, pray for his safety and that he is free from terrorist attacks, such as a car bomb....absolutely nothing to kid about there...

vickymacd Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 8:02pm
post #12 of 17

Thank you regarding my sons and I hope I didn't come across as INsensitive! I just meant, life is not about walking on eggshells.

scp1127 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 8:23pm
post #13 of 17

It's a well established drink and we probably all remember it for its shock factor... like Sex on the Beach. The combination of liquors, stout, and liqueur is a winning taste combination in cake. Bailey's Guiness Jameson cupcakes just doesn't sound the same.

Valkstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Valkstar Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 3:47pm
post #14 of 17

I'm Irish and I'd never heard of this drink until I was on an American forum. My brother is a barman and said it's normally only Americans who ask for it....he does ask them how they'd feel about a 9/11 cocktail etc.

I don't particularly like the name .... what would you all think if it was called an Iraqi car bomb?

scp1127 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:15pm
post #15 of 17

It is a terrible name. Unfortunately, if you want the association with the drink, you are stuck. And the combination is so good together in baked goods.

Rosie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie2 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 4:46pm
post #16 of 17

Dumb question icon_redface.gif --- how do you make the filling? just mix the ingredients? it sounds delicious in any way.
Thank you!

julesh268 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 6:21pm
post #17 of 17

Just for the record, I didn't name it. I found the recipe on this site. It was was FANTASTIC!. Silly me forgot to take a picture, but it was just a simple decoration anyway.

So, let's rename it...St. Patty's cake, Irish Drinking Cake, Chocolate Guinness Cake, Happy Hour Cake....Regardless of the name, there were a lot of smiling faces eating it!

The filling was just all mixed together. I never achieved "light and fluffy" but did get a pudding texture. I fridged the filling and put it together an hour before the party. I had left over cake and filling so I left one on the counter over night and it is totally fine. It didn't go bad (yet) The other went in the fridge. I am not a fan of cold cake so I wanted to see how the filling held up at room temp.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%