Grainy Modelling Chocolate?

Sugar Work By Cealy Updated 13 Mar 2011 , 10:19pm by Cealy

Cealy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cealy Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 3:10pm
post #1 of 7

I think I may be answering my own question here but...
I tried for the first time today to make modelling chocolate/clay.

I used a double boiler to melt the candy melts until melted then added room temperature corn syrup. As I stirred it in it seemed to seize. Is this normal? Now it seems really grainy but if I knead a small piece at a time it does soften but you can still feel the grains in it.

Now what, do I start again? Can I salvage $10 worth of candy melts? lol
C

6 replies
winnieyoung103 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winnieyoung103 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 9:20am
post #2 of 7

Cealy, I heat my corn syrup in the microwave for 15 to 30 seconds before I pour it in and only stir enough to let it mix together pour into plastic wrap and I let it cure over nite in the refrigerator. Next day I get it out and knead it until smooth. (may microwave 5 to 10 sec just to soften a little) Hope this helps icon_smile.gif
Winnie

Cealy Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:22pm
post #3 of 7

Could you heat the corn syrup in a feezer bag then pour in the melted candy melts, gently knead it to mix then let it set?

I managed to work enough to make a very basic rose but man it took a lot of kneading to get the grain out of it.

I think next time I will do a much smaller batch and try it different ways to see what works the best.
Thanks for the tip!
C

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:49pm
post #4 of 7

I've had the same problem with grainy modeling chocolate when I've used the candy coating, but NOT when I've used real, chopped up chocolate to make it. I was thinking that maybe candy coating/chocolate melts might not be the best to use. I dunno. Weird. icon_confused.gif

winnieyoung103 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 7

I use white candy wafers all the time and color with gel colors when I knead. I do one batch at a time in a double boiler only until completely melted. Heat corn syrup 15 to 30 seconds and pour into chocolate. stir it a few times and put in plastic wrap in sealed container. (Do not over stir) I always let it cure in refrigerator over nite.
I've never had the grainy effect I don't know if there's a difference in candy melts. I buy mine in bulk at my local grocer.

winnieyoung103 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 8:08pm
post #6 of 7

Thinking more are u over heating the chocolate. I melt over very low heat in double boiler. To high of a temp could be causing the chocolate to become grainy. Maybe someone else has better insight.

Cealy Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 10:19pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you for your help, I most certainly will try it your way next. I have kneaded my chocolate into egg size balls so I will try warming it with my hands and kneading it again to see if its going to be worth keeping,

Thanks again!
C

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%