Trad. Bc Or Smbc

Decorating By sccandwbfan Updated 13 Mar 2011 , 12:05am by FromScratchSF

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,

For most of my cakes I've made either traditional BC or some type of speciality one, like lemon raspberry BC. I keep seing SMBC and wonder what the benefits of for it? I keep track closely of material costs and the the SMBC costs a little than the traditional.

I'm curious to know who likes which one and why. icon_smile.gif

TIA

Christy

6 replies
NanaSandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NanaSandy Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 7

I am right there with you and will be watching this to see the responses!

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 3:58pm
post #3 of 7

Hello Christy! Ask, and you shall receive...

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/

Enjoy!

Jennifer

PS you should also just look thru the threads - this question is asked daily. Seriously, daily.

luddroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luddroth Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 7

It's a matter of personal preference.

Most of the "traditional" buttercream recipes use Crisco (shortening), or a mix of butter and shortening, and powdered sugar. It pipes very well, with sharp edges, smooths well and "crusts" for better smoothing and handling, and holds up to heat and humidity. But some people don't like the "mouth feel" of shortening and/or have concerns about the health issues with hydrogenated vegetable products.

Swiss meringue buttercream, and Italian meringue buttercream, are made of beaten egg whites, sugar, and large quantities of real butter. It smooths well with a hot spatula or scraper, but does not crust. It pipes fairly well, but because it is softer, it does not make as sharp-edged piped patterns. It does not hold up well to heat and humidity because it behaves more or less the same way butter would -- fine at cool room temps, but sagging quickly in heat. Some people don't like the "mouth feel" of butter, or the richness of the butter flavor. Personally, I love the meringue-based buttercreams and avoid the "traditional" Crisco-based buttercreams. But I have been on this site long enough to know that there are lots of people who feel exactly the opposite. HTH

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 4:17pm
post #5 of 7

I think you just have to make it and taste it for yourself. American cooks got away from the cooked icings for the convenience of the uncooked powdered sugar icings. This started in the 1950's. In recent years, artisan bakeries and books have become more prevalent and these cooked icings, still popular in Europe where they have their roots, have made a resurgence and are catching the attention of the general public. The taste is less sweet and more refined, able to incorporate purees, chocolate, and other flavorings in a more subtle blend.

I was born in the south and came from a cooking culture. We didn't have box mix cakes or the powdered sugar icing. I had never heard if the crisco/powdered sugar icings until I took a Wilton class last year. Because I had never had it, except at birthday parties where a grocery store cake was served, I find it way too sweet and overwhelming. But some people complain of the butter taste in the european icings.

sccandwbfan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sccandwbfan Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 4:53pm
post #6 of 7

Thank you. Luddroth you already answered another question I had. Does it crust? icon_smile.gif Thank you. From Scratch, I will check your blog when I have more time.

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 12:05am
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by sccandwbfan

Thank you. Luddroth you already answered another question I had. Does it crust? icon_smile.gif Thank you. From Scratch, I will check your blog when I have more time.

No.

Jen

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%