Any Cake Decorators In Germany?

Decorating By sarahsweetcakes Updated 14 Mar 2011 , 1:47am by Ursula40

sarahsweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahsweetcakes Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 9:57am
post #1 of 10

Where do you buy your supplies? Do you order them online, or is there a specific store that sells cake decorating items? Help is appreciated! Danke!

9 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 11:44am
post #2 of 10

Where are you located and how good is your German??

I am a moderator in a German cake forum, we are still small, but growing steadily. Those who understand, speak and write English, a lot of us are here as well, because it is a bit difficult in germany to get help, tutorials etc, but we are working on developing our own.

There are a couple of online shops, my favourite beine
www.tortenkram.de

others are
www.hobbybaecker.de
www.tortissimo.de

Our German forum address is www.tortentalk.de , you can write in English, enough of us understand it and our forumgranny ( icon_wink.gif) is English anyway. You can ask all questions pertaining to where to get what there in thr right timezone as well, but there also are searchable topics.
I must warn you though, if you come from either the States or England, we are a very small group with limited possibilities, BUT we have a competition in Hamburg every year and it gets better and better.

For hard to get stuff, some still order from the States and England, but

customs and freight charges are horrendous, OR you take nothing but cakestuff in your luggage after each holiday

sarahsweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahsweetcakes Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 10

I live in Grafenwohr. My German isnt great, I'm still learning, we've only been here a few months. I can understand it better than I can speak it. Thanks for all your help, and I'll be sure to check out the forums!

Ursula40 Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 12:44am
post #4 of 10

Check us out, don't worry, we are a friendly bunch. And most are very helpful as well, there have been regional groups that get together for meetings, some of the members offer courses as well. Several members have been getting gold awards in the Cake International in Birmingham as well the last couple of years. And if you have time, please also check out the German sugarcraft competition in Hamburg, it's in October this year. I went last year and it was so fun with awesome cakes, it was very hard trying to judge them, The competition is not nearly as big as the ones in the States, but the volume and quality of submitted cakes is growing each year. There are also vendors there, so you can get your supplies in Person. There are also competitions in Holland, that some of the girls go to (as well as online shops) and there is an online shop in Austria with great veiners and loads of awesome flower cutters, check out http://shop.zuckerzauber.at .
As I said, the main way to get cake decorating supplies is online. There are more shops, but a I don't live in Germany, I don't know all of them. I mainly get my fondant from Tortenkram and order there eveytime I am in Germany to bring back with me

bananabread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bananabread Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 6:26am
post #5 of 10

If I can help you in any way, recipes, instrucions, etc. I will be glad to do it.

Ursula40 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 12:36am
post #6 of 10

Don't worry, if you feel your German isn't good enough, as I said, we have enough people, who understand English so just come on over and register. You can write in English and it's always nice to have fellow decorators nearby, cake is our common language. I am sure that you will be warmly welcomed. We have 3 English members and a lot of German members who speak and write English

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 12:59am
post #7 of 10

I will be in Dusseldorf in May, and want to make a fondant cake for an occasion, anyone know of a place there to buy supplies, or should I cart my supplies there?

Ursula40 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:10am
post #8 of 10

Will you be staying at a house or an hotel?

Torten kram has a fantastic fondant (Callebaut)and can deliver very fast. they have colours as well, you will have enough to bring over with rolling pins cutters etc, I wouldn't bother with the edibles. Check out what you can get there, you pay via paypal and the stuff can be there overnight, literally

crumbcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crumbcake Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:33am
post #9 of 10

Ursula, I will be staying in a house, so delivery will be easy. I'll check out the site and thank you for your help.

Ursula40 Posted 14 Mar 2011 , 1:47am
post #10 of 10

I know that Ute speaks English there, so if your German isn't up to par, just use the contact form and send it to Ute, she will definately help (and say Hi!! from me)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%