Fondant Decoration On Bc... ???

Decorating By cutiepiecupcake Updated 12 Mar 2011 , 3:15am by icer101

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 1:49am
post #1 of 4

Ok.. so I'm not really a buttercream girl. I use a basic flavoured homemade buttercream for cupcake swirls, however not for my cakes. I've made up a batch of bc using approx 500gms of butter (half unsalted) 2x 500gms of pure confectioners sugars, some milk and vanilla essence. I've been asked to decorate a teddybear pan cake (supplied by the customer) with buttercream. Uurrgh, no offence, but I really dislike these wilton pan cakes icon_sad.gif I think they have there place in the home kitchen, but not in a decorators kitchen. Anyhow, I want to do my best to give it my own personal 'bling'.. so I want to add some fondant pieces to the ears & paws, for the nose and eyes, and for some stitching. I'm going to roughly pipe my buttercream so it looks like fur - will my recipe go firm enough for this. .. or will I have to store it in the fridge to keep the fur textured? And how will the buttercream affect my fondant? Thanks icon_wink.gif

3 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 2:16am
post #2 of 4

Your fondant peices will be fine . your b/c, using butter only, will be very soft. Could you make the b/c using butter and shortening. That will make it firmer for the fur. I would let my fondant peices set up for a little bit, before adding to the ears, etc. hth

cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 2:40am
post #3 of 4

thank for the reply icer101.. we don't have shortening here in Australia.. we only have copha which is made from coconut fat solids.. unlike crisco that is derived from vegetable oils.. I don't think it would be the same

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 3:15am
post #4 of 4

OK then, i would use a little more powder sugar to make it stiffer for the fur.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%