What Am I Doing Wrong??? Mmf Question

Baking By kmdrysdale Updated 12 Mar 2011 , 12:02am by chefjess819

kmdrysdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmdrysdale Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 10:27pm
post #1 of 8

I have made fondant lots and most of the time it turns out great. Well i have a cake due and everytime i make a batch of MMF it turns out almost looking like the Moondough you get for kids. I have not changed anything and it is really rubbery and just pulls apart. I tried more Shortening but it is still doing it. Has any one had this happen or know what i am talking about? If so what can i do?

EDIT: I can't even get the MMF to form a smooth ball. If in the shape of a ball it looks like a pile of small chunks all mashed together.

7 replies
threematbros Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
threematbros Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 10:50pm
post #2 of 8

It's so funny you have asked this question - I have made 3 batches of MMF in the last week and 2 of them have turned out the same way you are describing. I have no idea why but would love to know so I hope some one can help both of us.

ConnieJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConnieJ Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 8

I have never had any luck making my own MMF. I've tried several times but it never comes out right. Either too dry or too "wet" or just not the right pliancy. Because of this, I just end up buying ready made fondant.

navyseawitch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
navyseawitch Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 11:28pm
post #4 of 8

Did you let it sit overnight? I had the same mess first time I made it, but my instructions said to let it sit overnight. I believe it gives time for the moisture and dry sugar to "meld". The next day, it rolled out like a dream.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 8

I noticed that my MMF gets like this if I add all the confectioner's sugar that the recipe calls for. I always use one cup less. The MMF if sort of soft when it is warm but when it sits overnight, it becomes harder even without that extra cup of confectioner's sugar and with a little kneading is perfectly smooth.

kimkake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimkake Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 8

Can't wait to hear the answers on this too - I have made it twice and haven't been able to use it. I also let it sit overnight and it would fall apart if I tried to cover a cake with it.

kmdrysdale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmdrysdale Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 11:45pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by threematbros

It's so funny you have asked this question - I have made 3 batches of MMF in the last week and 2 of them have turned out the same way you are describing. I have no idea why but would love to know so I hope some one can help both of us.

Did you change anything (ingredients, liquid, etc) between those 3 batches? I have had the best luck with making MMF until today. This batch, and one before it were garbage. I'm hoping the 2 out of 3 works for me too and this time it will work! lol

chefjess819 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjess819 Posted 12 Mar 2011 , 12:02am
post #8 of 8

this is the recipe i use. it is so easy and have made it 4 times w/o a problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%