Crisco 100% Vegetable Shortening

Decorating By midgysquidgy Updated 11 Mar 2011 , 1:01am by tania9

midgysquidgy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midgysquidgy Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 11:49pm
post #1 of 3

Hi, hope someone out there can help me????
I am from Australia, and we don't have "Crisco" here.
In Edna De La Cruz DVD of sugar flowers she refers to the crisco for rubbing on your hands and also for the use of making Buttercream etc.
Does anyone know from Australia what our equivalent is????
As far as I know we have "Copha" but this is solid, and needs to be melted.
Would be Thankful for any suggestions. icon_confused.gif

2 replies
cutiepiecupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cutiepiecupcake Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 12:44am
post #2 of 3

I always use copha for rubbing my hands whilst kneading my fondant.. and I've also kneaded it into my cakeart gumpaste.. my most recent chub of gumpaste is so crapola it really needs the copha to be pliable.. not happy! icon_mad.gif I've often wondered what it would be like in crusting buttercream.. but I think because crisco is a solid fat derived from vegetable oils and copha is derived from coconut oil it would result in different outcomes. I think most Aussies buy from because there really isn't a product to match crisco here in Australia.

tania9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tania9 Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 1:01am
post #3 of 3

When I am using gumpaste, I spray homebrand cooking spray on my hands and it works beautifully icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%