Help With Traditional Baby Shower Cake

Decorating By kristiemarie Updated 11 Mar 2011 , 4:19pm by kristiemarie

kristiemarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristiemarie Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:45pm
post #1 of 15

Hi all! You have all been doing this for quite a bit longer than me so I was hoping for some of your wisdom. icon_wink.gif

I am making a baby shower cake in April. They are very traditional parents. Originally I was going to do something fun and "kiddish", like monkeys or other baby animals. But was told today that traditional is the way to go. Soooo, what does that mean?

They won't really give me any ideas of what they like, and are just putting it in my hands (which I don't mind). It's a gift to them, so it's not like they are paying for it so I think that's why they are so "you design it".

My question is what can I do that's a traditional look without doing piping? I am going to buy a first impressions baby mold because I think those have got to be the most precious things ever. But what about the rest of the cake?

When I think of traditional, I think buttercream, but I'll be honest and tell you I can't do butter cream. I've yet to hone any skills that would be good enough for a cake (trust me on this). And I SUCK at fondant flowers. What else is there? It's a boy, if that helps.

I looked through the gallery so many are either buttercream or a fun, playful fondant. I need a traditional fondant.

I was thinking maybe a light blue cake, with a fondant ribbon around the top and bottom layer. Maybe form a cloud on the top and put the baby on it? Then "Welcome Little One" on the bottom layer. But it feels too....I don't know....not right. How do you know when a cake design is the right one? How do you know you can take it from your head and put it into real cake?

Any help in this would be much much much appreciated.

14 replies
Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 15

I only do buttercream (right now), but I have several pics in my profile of shower cakes. Traditional - well that can be taken differently depending on the person. How is the nursery decorated?

If you are comfy with fondant, then cover your cake a light blue (as you said) - then bring in some stripes, polka dots, etc.

See if my pictures will spark an idea. I think they will be happy with whatever you decide to create for them.

HTH, T

dmo4ab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dmo4ab Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:56pm
post #3 of 15

Well...when I think traditional, things that are simple and classic come to mind. Baby booties, rattles, wooden blocks, rubber duckies, etc. You could do fondant cutouts in these shapes or even sculpt them.

kristiemarie Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 1:57pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks guys! I don't know why I am finding this so difficult. LOL I guess it's because I had something else in mind and then it was decided to do traditional.

Wooden blocks....that gives me an idea! Thanks!!!

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:02pm
post #5 of 15

When I think traditional, I think along the same lines as dmo4ab. Buttercream says traditional to me also, maybe you could at least put that under the fondant. I like the cloud idea. I'm not too sure about the bow around the cake, maybe a small blue bow on the baby.

Or you could ask them if they know what the theme is in the nursery and go off of that. Unless the shower is a surprise, you could ask the mom-to-be (if you know her, which I assume you do since it is a gift cake) what the theme is.

kristiemarie Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 15

They don't have a theme. They are very simple people. I don't think they have the nursery done yet.

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:11pm
post #7 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kristiemarie

Thanks guys! I don't know why I am finding this so difficult. LOL I guess it's because I had something else in mind and then it was decided to do traditional.

Wooden blocks....that gives me an idea! Thanks!!!

I know how you feel. I get an idea in mind and then out of no where - here comes the monkey wrench. You have plenty of time to ponder the idea and it will come, just give it time.

Good Luck!!!

KASCARLETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KASCARLETT Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 2:21pm
post #8 of 15

I like the baby blocks idea! icon_biggrin.gif

geri4292adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geri4292adams Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 15

I have done 3 baby shower BABY BLOCK CAKES the first one was in buttercream and I was just learning how to decorate, the 2nd two are fondant covered and turned out pretty darn cute. Take a look and see if this would be along the lines of traditional enough for the parents. It's pretty easy cakes to pull off as well. hope this helps

Cayke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cayke Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 10:29pm
post #10 of 15

Hi have a look at my cakes i have a beautiful baby bloom cake and you can use your first impression mold and see how it goes.

KJ62798 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KJ62798 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 10:32pm
post #11 of 15

Blue and brown are a very nice combo for a baby boy. I did a shower a few weeks ago w/a chocolate fondant covered cake, polka dots in shades of blue and a topper of a baby bear w/a pacifier holding his stuffed bunny.

Another idea for getting some inspiration is to hit the baby section of the fabric store. I've been covering foam core/cake drums in fabric (sealed w/Mod Podge which is non-toxic).

Find a cute baby boy print and pull the design from the fabric, it makes for a lovely overall presentation.

HTH
Kristy

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 10:46pm
post #13 of 15

To me traditional would be baby bottles, baby shoes and blocks. Definitely keeping to a baby and white (or ivory) blue color palette with accents maybe of a pale green to mix it up. I think stripes are always nice for a boy but some of my more traditional customers were really looking for what I consider very traditional like the baby quilt sheet cakes, the clothes line around the tiers with the proper gendered clothing.

ZoesMum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZoesMum Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 1:23am
post #14 of 15

I don't know if this would be considered traditional per say, but I just did this baby boy shower cake, and it was simple, but everyone loved it.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1960502

It's buttercream with fondant over top, and you could do the baby on top instead of the stroller. If you are really stuck, could you refer them to this wonderful site to see if there are that they like? That's what I do when a friend is stumped as to what they want...I have them find a couple they like so I know what is interesting to them. Good luck and have fun!

kristiemarie Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 4:19pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks all!

I think I might implode though! Now, I see they registered all their stuff with monkeys and cute-sie stuff so I think I am going to go with the original idea I had. But then again....who knows what might happen before I actually get going on this cake. LOL I have LOTS of ideas here now. icon_smile.gif

I spoke to the mother and she said because I'm doing it as a gift, they don't really care what it is. I guess I am more of a "this is how I want it" type person but they are now.

I thank you all for your help! You guys always come through with shining colors!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%