Cake Pops: How To Make Them Less Sweet?

Baking By elloello Updated 10 Mar 2011 , 4:49am by elloello

elloello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elloello Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:10am
post #1 of 5

I'll be making my first batch of cake pops this weekend, but I've read on some sites that they can be too sweet. Is there any way to make it less sweet? Or are there alternatives to the frosting? (I want to avoid using cream cheese frosting and peanut butter). Would cool whip work? I've also heard the suggestion of buttercream, but I don't think I have tasted it before..

I am open to other suggestions too.

Thank you.

4 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:15am
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure what you're referring to as "frosting" as buttercream is a type of frosting.

As for other alternatives, when i've made them i don't use anything else but cake. my cake is pretty moist so it binds together w/o anything extra.

I wouldn't recommend cool whipe because it has to be refrigerated.

I have seen others use liquid coffee creamers, anything that holds it together. Jelly, preserves, ganache, etc...

There are MANY different recipes out there and it's easy to mix and match flavors and different types of binders to create something that will work for you.

motherofgrace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
motherofgrace Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:18am
post #3 of 5

I agree.

BUT If its your first batch, how do you knwo its going to be too sweet icon_wink.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:23am
post #4 of 5

If I were you I would not add anything! Just mix up the cake crumbs alone in the mixer and make balls out of them. I don't like them when there is buttercream or something added.

Then, the darker the chocolate you dip them in, too, the less sweet they'll be.

elloello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elloello Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:49am
post #5 of 5

Thank you all for your replies~!

As for "substituting frosting".. I guess I meant the "creamy frosting" in the cans.. lol sorry I don't know the terminology for different types frosting (or the differences between the whipped and whatnot).

Thanks for your suggestions! Hopefully I can find something that can fit my friend's taste.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%