Am I A Big Dork? :)

Decorating By sillywabbitz Updated 11 Mar 2011 , 6:12am by platinumlady

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:44am
post #1 of 9

I'm entering my first cake competition at the end of April, the North Texas Cake and Sugar Art show. Why may you ask am I dork...because I started my cake TODAY...it's like 2 months away but I'm way too excited and I worry that I will get busy with work or other things and just don't want to put it off. I'm using dummies and RKTs so I know it won't go bad...I just feel a little silly.

So that said, how early do you start on competition pieces?

Also any experienced competitors, I welcome all competition hits and adviceicon_smile.gif

Happy Caking.

8 replies
VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:51am
post #2 of 9

icon_biggrin.gif I think it's great! I always say I'm going to start early and I end up procrastinating and then I'm not happy with my cake because I did it at the last minute and had to do it in the middle of the night.

sewsweet2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsweet2 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:52am
post #3 of 9

You are not a dork! I say more power to you and good luck on your entry. I always put it off then I have unforseen things happen that take up my time. My entries are never what I have visioned when I start.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:52am
post #4 of 9

sillywabbitz, I started my competition cakes for the Sweet Times in the Rockies show (2/11-2/13) THE DAY AFTER CHRISTMAS and finished with just enough time to shower and dress before I had to leave to drop off the cake. If you're a dork, so am I icon_lol.gif. Nothing wrong with being a dork icon_wink.gif.

Be sure to post pictures and results!

crp7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crp7 Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 3:53am
post #5 of 9

I think it is wonderful that you are entering! I hope to go to the show just to look at the entries. I don't even have the nerve or the talent to try yet.

You are rightfully excited.

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:20am
post #6 of 9

Thanks everyone. I am really excited. Elcee your blog is awesome!!! And your cakes are incredible. Your lavendar cake is stunning. I'm not looking to win as much as I'm just hoping not to embarass myselficon_smile.gif Crp7 you should really enter. Your cakes look great and one thing I really like about this show is they have a lot of divisions from beginner to professional. There really is a spot for everyone. Go check out the photos from 2009. Hopefully they will inspire you to enter.

I am taking pics as I go and will post the finished piece as well but that will be a while.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 10 Mar 2011 , 4:27am
post #7 of 9

I have a friend who is entering and she has started on hers so no that doesn't make you one!! I so need to get cracking on mine too. Hope we have the chance to meet.

hrnewbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hrnewbie Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 5:26am
post #8 of 9

You're not a dork at all. I admire you for your preparedness. My 1st competition is a month away and I'm so petrified I can't figure out where to start.

I'm using dummies too but don't want to use fondant so I think I'm going to ice the cake in RI and do RI flowers too. Do you think that's okay? I'm really freaked out. Do judges take off for cakes coated in RI since you typically wouldn't really cover a cake in RI? icon_cool.gif

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 11 Mar 2011 , 6:12am
post #9 of 9

Just wanted to say Congratulations cause I know you'll do great. It's a good thing you are thinking ahead & starting early. Keep us posted on how your competition goes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%